1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plowing for $15?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by ncampbell, Feb 3, 2009.

1. ncampbell

ncampbell Junior Member

I am new to the industry but I have plowed for myself for years. I just don't understand how people can plow driveways for $15! I can't see it being worth at least $25-30 around here for most driveways. There is a guy who advertised in my area tonight for $15, in the middle of a Nor Easter, LMAO! I say he's plowing for free. :angry:

2. 2low

2low Member

with in a block of my house is $15 2blocks is $25 everywhere else is $45

3. erkoehler

erkoehler PlowSite Veteran

If you can do 10 driveways in an hour, your making $150/hr. In my neck of the woods that isn't too bad for hourly pay.

However, driveways do usually go for a bit more around here.

4. ahoron

ahoron Senior Member
    from here

Careful erko your going to get the guys telling you that you CAN'T do a good job in that little time and you are crazy for charging that little. People don't understand why walmart is so big..................Volume!!!! goes for any business. you get 10-15 drives in one neighborhood you can make more then if you had to drive longer distance between them.
    $15 around here only if she's hot:D

5. Lencodude

Lencodude Senior Member

If someone waves me down when I am driving on my route it is uasually $20-$30, Pays for the coffee's and sometimes lunch. I have to agree if she is super HOT maybe!

6. murray83

murray83 Senior Member

I know what you mean,same here in Saint John I can say I'd like $25 or $30 but thats very rare and hard to get out of people,$20 is more the norm sadly,still have yet to see anyone but large commercial sign up to seasionals dunno about larger cities like Halifax.

Hard to convince anyone to sign up to a $400 a year seasional or $30 per push when any other guy is doing them for $15 or $20 and we are not talking "lowballers" with a 84 chevy bondo truck lol these are 2000 or newer half tons or 3/4 tons.

That said driveways to me are alot better than commercial less stress,no salting,no daily site checks at 5am everyday no massive insurance payouts just plow per storm and send a bill per month and try to line them up like dominos.

In the words of Red Green... We're all in this together.

7. Brando55

Brando55 Member

Here in Newfoundland I get $30 no problem. You would have to have alot of driveways to make a good buck at doing them for $15.

8. augerandblade

augerandblade PlowSite.com Addict

tymusicpayupSome of my $15 driveways can be done in 3 to 4 minutes ,(in cab work only )with tractor equipped with a loader and snowblower. With that combination you can "blow away" the competition. wAKE up and smell the coffee, we are in a recession/depression , and people expect to pay less. Youre gonna havta work harder and smarter to make it through this one.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

First off NO ONE gets paid 150 an hour - period. NO ONE can knock off 10 driveways in an hour - this minus a town home community.

At 15 a driveway you are a low baller, you will fail, your client will be mine and you will pick up the damages to the home owner - seen it time and time again.

I get the recession/depression and that I am not a politician who can get a pass on my taxes. I also know that humans get frustrated, time is money and quality suffers to volume.

10. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

This guy does;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PuI9zcWKs2Q

11. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

You must not be able to plow very well then. 10 drives an hour is very reasonable.
    A bunch of drives in a 2-3 block stretch and you can make damn good money.
    LEARN how to manage time. I see you have a V blade too. That makes the jobs even faster.

12. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

Most of the drives around here are 20' X 50'. Back drag 4 times and then push it on the lawn. Don't get out of the truck. You can easily do 8-10/hour. They go for $400/season and most years you will do approx. 20 plows. The last 2 years have been bad and some guys have put caps on their # of plows.

Having said all that, I don't do driveways.

13. Lencodude

Lencodude Senior Member

I will have to disagree about the 10 an hour. I have 18 houses on one street and have done it in 45 - 60 minutes flat. Here unfortunately everyone I know charges seasonal $400-$500. I would love to get paid per time , make more money this season. I have over 40 houses in a 5 block area they are done fast.

14. augerandblade

:salute:Yeah well said guystymusic:salute::gunsfiring:

15. ff1221

ff1221 PlowSite.com Addict

80 Driveways, 5 hours, and my driveways are spotless when i'm done, average here is $15 per time, and i've been in the business for 9 years. It's the Canadian way.tymusic

burn.jpg

Last edited: Feb 4, 2009
  16. niederhauser la

niederhauser la Member
    from Utah

I do but I dont do driveways.

17. CAT 245ME

CAT 245ME PlowSite.com Addict

I can do my 40 driveway's in between 4 to 5 hours, and charge $25 & up, I will not plow for less than $25 it just isn't worth it. UNLESS there is a pretty lady in need of my help.

18. Fife Lawn&Lane

Fife Lawn&Lane Junior Member
    from Ontario

15 isn't enough. my cheapest drive is $20, I start at the curb and one push into the backyard takes about 2 minutes.

19. augerandblade

If everybody starts at 25 you can stick to your guns. As soon as someone works for less there will be pressure on you (if ya still wanna plow) to work for less money.payuptymusic

20. kootoomootoo

kootoomootoo Senior Member

The same guys who won't stop for $15 are plowing lots for $65 an hour.

But its a Walmart man.....all my wet dreams rolled into one..look at me.