1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plowing Fire station

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by 3bladz, Dec 29, 2009.

1. 3bladz

3bladz Senior Member

Anybody have contract language they can share that would be appropriate for a fire station? A friend of mine is a Trustee for a volunteer fire dept. and the current contract is a little too vague. They are going to discuss it at the next meeting. I thought I would give him a few ideas. I tend to think it should at least be salted and/or plowed within a certain time frame from when it starts snowing.

2. ColumbiaLand

ColumbiaLand Senior Member

Join SIMA And look around their site at all of the contracts and language

3. theonlybull

theonlybull Senior Member

i'd be interested in the same. our contract at the hall leaves alot to be desired... heck, i just added salt/sand to the tender this year....

4. clark lawn

clark lawn PlowSite.com Addict
    from NE ohio

i acually wrote the contract for ours a few years ago. i dont plow it but i worked with the chief to devolop something. let me look and see if i still have a copy and i will send it to you. BTW the chief is a so it has all the legalize in it that you would need to.

5. hlntoiz

hlntoiz Senior Member
    from NW, CT

I plow a Ambulance Facility with about 10-12 ambulances/emergency vehicles. No different than a 24hr CVS IMO. Remember the driveway could be plowed every hour but if the road isn't done then then you are killing yourself for no reason.

6. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

We used to plow a fire station ,it was in normal rotation .We would plow out the front of the doors and a few spots for them to park just in case the got a call. Then after it stopped snowing we would plow the whole place.
    You really don't need a special contract just put in what they want and submit contract.

7. Maine_Train

Maine_Train Senior Member

I don't think he's looking for a "special contract" so much as something that specifies a little better the when and how, etc. A contractor who doesn't own property in the district covered by that station could have a somewhat lackadaisical idea of what "normal rotation" is. Most guys who bid on/won such a job would recognize that something like a fire station should be a higher priority, but without a good contract, somebody could be lazy about it.

Yeah, but that's kinda "apples vs. oranges" there, I think. If there are two different agencies/companies responsible for the road(s) and the station ramp, then each should be taking care of their own area. The condition of the roads should have no effect on what the guy plowing the station does, or vice versa.

BTW, I think every emergency vehicle in snow country should be specced with Onspot or Insta-Chain. Because some days, "stuff" happens, and some days, "megastuff" happens. ;)

--
    "Retired" volunteer Firefighter/EMT-I [​IMG]

8. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I would think the biggest thing to specify is that you won't let the snow exceed so many inches. If the parking area is steep at all, I would imagine they would want salt or sand.

9. theonlybull

if the hall is anything like ours. built in the early 70's, the trucks are much bigger now. we have less then 3" clearance from the roof of our new rescue truck to the garage door. if the snow builds up. it's gonna cost us big time... once we get out in the road, the'll move fine, the 2 newest have on-spots, and the tanker has 2000 imp gallons of water on it... she'll go lol

10. Tommy10plows

Tommy10plows Senior Member

Plowing the Fire Dep't

I plow the fire department, driveway apron, and may do it a couple of times each storm. There is a diner next to it, and I go in and order my coffee and food, and while I wait for it to be made I do the fire department apron.

Some of my high school buddies are firemen, and the town does not have a jeep assigned to the fire department. That is ridiculous. So I do it.

The firemen give me a Christmas card and a FMBA card. Before he died my father used to say if ever I got stopped by a Fire Truck I could use it to get out of the ticket. LOL.

What do I charge? Nothing. Nada. The reason is simple. When my neighbors or my family need an ambulance, or a fire truck they need it now. I want to make sure they get the vehicles out to whatever emergency they face. That to me is worth 10 minutes of work to open up the apron.

I suggest you do the same. Forget the contracts, forget the fee, go in and make the other PLOWMEN on this site proud of you. I got plenty of referrals over the years from that good will. You will as well.

11. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I would plow my town's station, but I don't plow anywhere near it. Many of the volunteers have plow trucks anyways.

12. HGT INC.

HGT INC. Senior Member
    from MI.

contracts

I'm a retired full time firefighter. The city DPS salted us only. We plowed with our pick up. We had SOP to keep it clear. From my past experience get it in writing. Even if you do it for free, If something goes wrong, the lawyers won't be far behind.

13. 3bladz

3bladz Senior Member

First, I am not looking to get the job, my schedule is full. Like Maine train said, tightening up the window is the goal. If the spec is to plow at 2 inches and there is 2 inches at 4pm sunday, why should it wait til the guy is done with his breakfast at the resturant monday morning. The north side of the building is a sloped concrete parking lot, the guys come in and slide into the parked vehicles, as the roads are usually clear on main streetand the lot is iced over in back. But I dont think dented cars is the problem, if a volunteer falls on the lot, that is a work comp claim.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2009
  14. HGT INC.

HGT INC. Senior Member
    from MI.

Good luck, .........

15. theonlybull

so guys that give up thier time, to save lives, fight fires, train, and loose time from thier family's, risking their own lives, should just plow thier own damn snow eh?

it really pisses me off how many people don't know just how much work and time commitment is it to be a Volly FF :yow!:

16. Stik208

Stik208 PlowSite.com Addict

I could really start a war here but Im going to stay out it.

17. Maine_Train

Maine_Train Senior Member

Easy, big fella. I think he was saying if it was where he was doing some plowing anyway, he'd do it just "because it's there."

The department I was on from 1993-2000 had at least two other members with plows on their trucks, one of whom was the chief when I joined. As far as I know, there was no SOP for snow and ice control, but somehow the stations always got plowed out, and in a timely manner.
    The town had no plowing/sanding equipment, so the work on the roads was contracted out. I think the contractor plowed the main station in the course of plowing the town office. The substation got cleared by one of the members. Sometimes I'd get there to find it had already been plowed, sometimes I'd do it. I was the Safety Officer, so I took it upon myself to make sure there were always a couple of buckets of sand/salt mixture in each station, and that some got spread on any bad spots.

Best I could tell, everybody thought "somebody" was going to take care of it, and fortunately, "somebody" always did.

18. paradise1229

paradise1229 Senior Member

When I was on mine a while ago, would throw out the salt on the pad where the Fire truck and Ambulance would come out. We had a fall when a new guy responded because he almost missed the bus. He got hurt and got left behind. So, I took it upon myself to see that it got salted. The TWP road Dept does a lowsy job no matter what.

I would now plow it if the road dept is too busy with the roads. Although I'm no longer on it, I still try to take care of those guys.

If you're wondering why I'm not on it, 1) Moved into the city 2) I was voted off due to not making the trainings 3) My EMT-B Ohio expired so I have to buy a book and study for National Registry.

19. shott8283

shott8283 Senior Member

lol., we dont even have a paid plower, but the dept has 4 members that have plows!

20. SteveR

SteveR Senior Member

I would say that it needs to say that the guys need to be able to get in with "passenger cars" not 4X4s and the apparatus needs to get out at all times then the plower can adjust accordingly during large snowfall events.