1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plowing factories...tight areas..

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by captdevo, Nov 27, 2002.

1. captdevo

captdevo PlowSite.com Sponsor

Consider me a Plow Virgin.....lol

i searched and found some info, but....

i have an oppotunity to take on a large factory, it's completely fenced in.

the total paved area is 10+ acres, which includes 4 acre parking lot, the rest is loading docks and drives between 3 seperate buildings.

they have a designated area to dump snow (6 acre gravel lot) which is 500' from the gate.

i will include a drawing of the site next week with details.

they want me to bid by t&m...Time per hour for man and machine.

after reading prior posts, it seems a skidsteer and grain type truck would work best for a majority of the work (i have both) if it gets real bad......

would a pusher be best? or are their large capacity buckets available? (i thought of making my own)

what is the average rate (i know this will vary) for 2 guys, 1 skid steer, 1 truck? or even just one guy and skidsteer?

they specified using calcium granular or spray for ice control....pros & cons?

also, the loading docks taper below grade, how much of a pita will this create?
  2. Got Grass?

Got Grass? Senior Member

A skid w/ pusher is a must for large lots other wise you will end up with lots of little piles scatterd all over. Also the pusher can be removed for stacking snow & loading salt if nessary. Buy a pusher, thay have teams of people that design them. No way you could come close to making something on your own that would stand up to the abuse. I'd hate to see yours have a weak spot & crumple up the first time out wasting all that money & time. Ya wouldnt buld a plow for your truck now would ya?

Depending on how the loading docks are set up, bays or a sraight run, Bays I would get a rear plow to eliminate back dragging. If not a decent normal blade will handle it. If you have a lot of cars & other things to get arround a V plow in the scoop position will get in between anything w/o plowing them in.

As far as rates go, good luck. First thing to do is figure out about how much your costs will be & what others in your specific area are charging as it verries greatly.

& dont forget that insurance, wouldnt want a truck jackknifing & dumping the load on some worker becaue you "missed a spot" salting. That could put ya down for life.

:drinkup: good luck
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2002
  3. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

I just ran into a similar situation but on a smaller scale. If we sign the storage facility for the season, we will have make arrangements for a skid steer with a box plow. I have some older fishers that I could box in. That would greatly speed the process up.
  4. BushHogBoy

BushHogBoy Senior Member

Got Grass.... actually now that you mention it I wouldn't be scared to make my own snowplow for a truck or a pusher for a skid as long as I had better tools than what I have. Not to put you down or anything, but some guys have a knack for this stuff that others only dream about :p :waving: