1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plowing Emergancy Kits

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by herb1001, Dec 5, 2010.

1. herb1001

herb1001 Senior Member

Hey Guys

First year plowing....if it ever snows in NJ.

Just wondering what tools and spare parts you guys bring with you while plowing.

Thanks

2. pohouse

pohouse Senior Member

Welcome herb1001! This question has been answered before. Use the search and you'll get a long list of stuff guys carry.

As for me, here are a few essentials in the truck besides shovel, salt/sand:
    cell phone/ 12V charger
    hot coffee
    10 CDs of your favorite music
    Big tool box full of tools. (wrenchs, sockets, all the common stuff)
    jack
    trucker chain
    10k recovery strap
    fluid film
    WD-40
    spray Liquid Di-ice
    flashlight
    digital multimeter
    electrical/duct tape
    gloves (rubber dipped cloth type for working on a hot engine)
    spare bulbs
    spare plow parts (hydr hose, return spring, pins)
    plow manual with diagrams
    truck repair manual
    Local telephone book
    fender cover (which can be layed on the ground if you need to work under the truck)
    2 ft. long plastic zip ties

I'm sure I've got more, but those are what I can think of now.

3. Also dont forget the hydraulic oil for your plow as well as fluids for the truck (windshield washer, antifreeze,etc). As far as plow parts listed I also carry a motor solenoid as well. Make sure you before you head out to check all fluid levels in your truck as well as hoses/belts etc....if you think there is a chance it looks kinda worn...replace it before you go out, will save ya alot of headache. A little PM goes a long way when it comes to plowing.

4. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

A cell phone and charger
    "search" button is your friend

5. Brucester1

Brucester1 Senior Member

and don't forget the sun glass,s

6. Forgot I also carry a jump start pack that has a built in air compressor, as well as a full size spare tire.

7. Lugnut

Lugnut Senior Member

For a big storm, an extra gas can be helpful if power goes out and gas stations close down

8. BossPlow2010

BossPlow2010 PlowSite.com Addict