1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plowing during your college years

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Farmall Teen, Nov 9, 2009.

1. Farmall Teen

Farmall Teen Junior Member

Ok, being in college this year, I am not able to helpout very much this year on the plowing crew that I have been on since high school, which sorta sucks, but I figure there is always going to be snow.

So I was just wondering for interest sake, what did you guys to when you were in college/trade school/etc? I think it cool to hear what you all have to say.
  2. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

i found going to college i did a lot of things. i didn't get any loans, so i worked a few jobs (one of which was snow removal), also worked in a bar, meat packing plant, and a dairy. I didn't sleep much in college, i did enjoy doing snow though, because i could start earlly in the morning, do snow until school, then work in more during spares, and finish up anything left when i was done. It sucked, but the money was good, and most customers were understanding about it.
  3. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

I am going to college to learn how to do my job. So with that being said, work comes first. If I have to miss school, that's how it has to be. I usually don't have to miss much though, because I go to school from 4:30-11 or so at night. Works pretty good for me. Occasionally I will have a Saturday class that I may have to miss if it snows. You can do it, but it's hard sometimes.
  4. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

I joined the grounds crew at my college and because of that I was able to plow every winter. That job allowed me to run some of the coolest equipment I had ever seen and the pay was great for a college kid.

Maybe you could check and see if your college has opportunities for students to help with snow removal around campus.
  5. Farmall Teen

Farmall Teen Junior Member

That's was my orginal plan there Camden and trust me, the equipment that they have here is cooler than a shovel or normal plow truck, even thought they have a lot of them also. I did check into it and the landscape services take care of it. They were not highering any more for the season and they had all their snow removal positions filled with people from the present crew. :mad:
    However, I was to please come back in the spring. To bad I will probably be in the feilds by then.:cool:

There was a job offer for another plowin job that was circulated in the e-mail system that I would have loved to tryout for, but I had no transportation to get to where they were. I am hoping that next year will be better for me:D
  6. rawdog

rawdog Senior Member
    from Cape MA

7. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

What are collage years? I couldn't hack it to get my "you want fries with that"? degree.
  8. WilliamOak

WilliamOak PlowSite.com Addict

I just want to subscribe to this thread as I'm in a similar situation.
  9. SuperdutyShane

SuperdutyShane PlowSite.com Addict

Typical college student? Haha.
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2009
  10. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Stay in school. Work will be there when you get done.
  11. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale 2000 Club Member

What he said x2.
  12. Wayne Volz

Wayne Volz Senior Member

Couldn't hack it. That's why I started my lawn business! Anybody can do that.

Just teasing. However, that seems to be the mindset. Stay in school and FINISH. Your education is something that is hard to finish as you get older. Do it while you are young and have less responsibilities. There will always be plenty of work for a well trained and educated person.

On the other hand, I would like to say that a college degree does not make you smart. I hope you guys can agree with me on that. I have met many educated idiots.

I have also met many successful business people that did not graduate from college, but they have very successful businesses.

Good luck!

And yes, I did graduate form college.
  13. naturalgreen

naturalgreen Senior Member

We got more snow where I went to college than at home but i came home and plowed if I could but my boss understood college(Vagine, liquor and some studying) came first. Now I miss those days and think of why I worked so hard at times back then. Enjoy it and work if you are home I am sure one of these wanks would hire you if you start a thread hell if you were here I would help you out if you were around and it snowed. I have helped my uneducated undermotivated broke loser friends at least you seem to want to work. They have to. But enjoy as much college as possible I sure did. 6 years undergraduate degree to be cutting lawns but I sure loved it and smile often. make sure to get the degree I did and still wanted to do this sht but always have another option. Or dont go to college and get a business started right away. my advice
  14. Polarisrider

Polarisrider Member

ya I am in a similar situation. Gonna try to balance college and just a couple driveways this year. I would say just try to schedule your classes for a couple hours every day or take some night classes.
  15. dirt digger

dirt digger Senior Member

i got a job plowing roads for the township around Penn State University...it was a pretty sweet gig...unfortunately as the new guy I usually got the 8pm-8am shift. Really didn't bother me, just had to watch out for the drunks around the 2am hour...made decent money but more importantly it gave me something to do

there were several times i got called in class...just had to get up and leave...but the experience was well worth it...

look into plowing for the state or local municipalities...a lot of them look for part time winter help...then again what also helped me is I have my CDL...so that could be a hindrance if you dont have it...anyway...here was my rig...

16. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

I've been plowing since I got my license... all in high school and all the way thru college... I got super lucky tho... all my teachers were mad cool, they all knew what i did and cut me soo much slack cause they all knew i was actually going somewhere unlike all the other deadbeats... Theres lots of times where i would plow since midnight, grab a quick shower then go to college... Heck, as soon as i walked into every class after a storm my teachers were all like how was the night plowing... Some times i was like it was great... but sometimes i was like "yupper, it was a fun one" in a real tired voice i guess... Defentially kept me out of trouble and has been a major help to being successful at my age... Just giver man... Its a little different when you own the company and know your clients and which ones really have to get done and can schedual yourself unlike just working for someone but it can work out great... Come to think about it... I actually got decent marks in college to...
  17. deere615

deere615 2000 Club Member

I am in college and plow alot. I have all my own lots/drives so I am always busy. If I gotta miss class I gotta miss, but I try not to especially the harder classes.Some times it can be real tough like when you have papers due and its snowing! alot of times I fall asleep in class:sleeping::dizzy:
  18. zerolatency

zerolatency Member

When i was in high school i plowed and worked for a shop/towing company, when i went to college the plowing had to go due to the uncertainty of when i would be out plowing. I stuck with the towing and did it almost every weekend 7 hours of driving to get back home and 3 12-14 hour shifts (fri, sat and sun nights) and my weekend was over....i know my experience isn't exactly plowing in college but it works just the same... my advice is more to enjoy your time at college there is plenty of time to work when you're out, unless you absolutely have to work during school to get by i would avoid it. Think of all the parties you'll have to miss because you can't drink in case it snows.....
  19. naturalgreen

naturalgreen Senior Member

student loans are like 1% interest stay with the school and work after. I had a good friend in college who went out to colorado after graduation and was hiking and took a picture from the top of a cliff and fell over they found him the next day and the camera. He was a great guy and lived life well but in the end their is a great balancer. MOrbid but you never know when it is coming. Enjoy the time you have, live it up in college get a job u like and work to fufill your new dreams later. You should only have dreams of graduating, having a good time, and plow later or do it around town when you have free time and pick up extra cash.
    And remember it could be love even if it is only for a night.
  20. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

thats what the forcast is for.............................