1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plowing driveways

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by exmark, Dec 10, 2009.

1. exmark

exmark Senior Member

This year I have started snow removal but I dont have alot of customers so this years im using my snowblower. However next year im buying a plow so I can take on more customers. yesterday and today we got hit with snow some drives were drifted in higher than my snowblower, anyways today I saw people all over the place with there plows and they were pushing the piles into the front yards or side parts of the property. My question is how do you keep the plow from digging into the yard when you plow across it. I mean these guys were pushing snow not just off the driveway but about 5 feet or so away from the driveway and it looked like the had just stopped in time were the concrete had no snow but the grass wasnt showing any dirt. I figured when you think ur at the end just bump the plow up a little and keep driving but I wasnt sure.
  2. searay220

searay220 Member

It sounds like these guys know where the driveway ends and the grass begins. As they push they know when to raise the blade just enough not to roll up the lawn.Until the ground freezes solid you have to be extra carefull.
  3. OC&D

OC&D PlowSite Veteran
    from Earth

For the most part, it's an experience thing. It's not too hard where the turf is on the same plane as the surface being plowed. Even so, it's almost guaranteed that you're gonna peel up a little sod here and there no matter how experienced you are.

Many contractors will actually have turf repair figured into their contracts, or have an indemnity clause pertaining to it.
  4. exmark

exmark Senior Member

Thats what I kinda figured im just a little worried about taking a chunk of lawn with me thats as wide as the blade when I go to stack.
  5. ProLawn Outdoor

ProLawn Outdoor Senior Member

A bunch of guys do this in my area, I think it looks sloppy though, plus I could see some customers getting nervous about their lawn. I like to pull it into the street, make a pile next to the curb, then hit it with some speed and windrow it up over the curb. I think this looks neater and I think it is almost easier. Plus, you don't get those big mounds.
  6. Tosa93F250

Tosa93F250 Member

This is exactly what I did with my own driveway at home.

Back drag it from the door down to the street, then just push it into the front yard over the curb.
  7. exmark

exmark Senior Member

Thats what a lot of people do is just back drag to the road then push it up on both sides of the driveway there at the curb. Thats what I plan to do its just we got a bunch of snow from the storm the night before they had already stacked it there and ran out of room so I saw them starting to put it up in the front yards.
  8. FordFisherman

FordFisherman PlowSite.com Addict
    from 06611

And always remember to leave room for the piles from the next storm...push em' back while you can.
  9. Tosa93F250

Tosa93F250 Member

Yea, if it got to a point that the area near the curb was full then I would probably push it into the front yard too. As long as you get the chain back under tension the plow shouldn't drop much when you leave the pavement. The lot at work has a 1/2"-1" drop off around the pavement so I jsut get the weight of the blade back on the truck so it doesn't eat the grass.
  10. ProLawn Outdoor

ProLawn Outdoor Senior Member

Yup, I think it works great, I got the trick from watching another guy who does a lot of drives. If you hit the pile fast enough, then keep going for another 10 feet or so, you camn make the whole thing disappear.
  11. Tosa93F250

Tosa93F250 Member

I learned it from my Dad, neither of us had any experience but it was his idea, if he hadn't said it I probably would've put it in the yard along the side of the drive way.

I did get to the drive way a little late so somebody had already driven over it all which compacted the slushy snow. When I went to back drag the plow jsut rode over the compacted parts since I don't have a back drag edge.
  12. gc3

gc3 Senior Member

I know if your going into the yard its easier if the ground is frozen. I did a long driveway and pushed out 60 feet. Last year I didn't have a problem with the ground but the other night it wasn't completely frozen and by the time I was done I had two ruts leading out to the pile. I still raised the blade but the weight of everything was to much.
  13. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

if you don't push it back as far as you can you WILL run out of room for more snow y the time winter is over
  14. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

You have to learn the art of windrowing on longer drives. If the drive is more than your truck length and you can't put it at the house side of the drive you will have to either chunk it out to the side of the drive or back up to the house side and drive as fast as you can out of the drive with the plow angled to windrow the snow into the yard. You will always have some you have to deposit at the end of the drive when using this technique but will be less snow than if you just pushed straight out.
  15. gc3

gc3 Senior Member

So when your windrowing fast to one side do you ever have to back up and make a cleaner cut over what you just did? When I did say a right angle fast it seemed it left a lot of loose snow falling by the blade as I went by so I backed up and did a slower left angle cut over what I did before and it looked like a cleaner cut. How fast were you going?