1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plowing Driveways?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Livingreen, Nov 28, 2008.

1. Livingreen

Livingreen Junior Member
    from Indiana

I see alot of you plow driveways. We have always stayed away from residential driveways and stuck to the commercial end of things. Although this year I have picked up a community where they posted our name in there news letter for plowing driveways and truthfully I do not know how to charge for these. They mostly are two cars wide and two cars deep. Any help would be great.

2. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

How many snow events do you get there per season?

I prefer to charge a per season price for a driveway so it depends on how many times I expect to be plowing. All this per push and per inch crap is too much time wasted on paperwork!

3. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

$15 to $20 per push is the going rate around hear for a driveway that small.

4. G-rott

G-rott Junior Member

All in one comunity...

$15-20 if the drive has enough room to stack snow. Drives grouped like that are worth a mint up here. I would be at 18-19 trying to get the most $ out of each while beating out the every drive - every where is $20 crowed.payup

Garett

5. Gicon

Gicon Senior Member
    from MA

LIVING, here thats a $30 driveway, $35 if you are good. You cant make money charging $15 and $20. JD, who thinks that charging by push or inch is too much paperwork, you might want to take some business management courses, as that is the only way to make money in this business. Giving a "one size fits all" price, for the month, is no way to run a business.

6. merrimacmill

merrimacmill PlowSite.com Addict
    from MA

I have a $35 local minimum price. Meaning, I don't have to drive more than 15-20 minutes to get to it. But to me, it just makes no sense to go out and do a driveway for less than that. and I've never been turned down at that price. But it does all depend on your area, and around here there is a lot of money floating around so people dont care as much.

7. Woodland

Woodland Senior Member

Are you kidding me? I wouldn't slow down for that price.

8. JDiepstra

I've got a degree and several licenses to manage money and bind insurance policies as well. Thanks for the advice. :dizzy:

9. Gicon

Gicon Senior Member
    from MA

All of the certifications, licenses, and class work cant teach the common sense needed to make money in the Snow and Ice Industry.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2008
  10. JDiepstra

Sorry but you were the one who just said to take some classes! So now you disagree with yourself? You put a comma where one was not needed. Take a class!

11. Gicon

Gicon Senior Member
    from MA

JD, how do you pay for a Boss 9'2" V Plow at $15 and $20 a whack????????

12. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Hmm, all my stuff is monthly, can you send me to some good buisness management courses. Oh and I guess Neige might be joining me also, he only does like 4000 driveways and a few small 25 acre lots monthly.

13. Gicon

Gicon Senior Member
    from MA

Well, first, you should learn how to spell the word "business"

14. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Thanks I appreciate that, so your avoiding my question then.

15. Gicon

Gicon Senior Member
    from MA

How would you like me to send you "courses" UPS? FEDEX??????????????? I cant send out coursework JD. Please keep your requests within reason, and I would be glad to help out someone in need.

16. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

You said monthly was no way to run a buisness, and I say it is and I'm living proof and so is Paul, so stop giving bad advice.

17. Gicon

Gicon Senior Member
    from MA

You stop giving bad advice.

18. big acres

big acres Senior Member

Enough guys... what I want to know is how any of those who actually do nothing but driveways at $15 a pop make a living at it. A first class stamp to mail the invoice is 2.8% of your gross revenue! If you do have amazing route density... like someone with 400 drives OR you use them as filler between your commercisl stuff, then great. But really... one guy, one truck, $15 per drive -how much do you gross per snowfall?

19. Gicon

Gicon Senior Member
    from MA

Big, I am with you. I dont know where they get there plows either, but where mine come from, they cost over $5,000. Maybe their demographic is that drastically different than mine or yours.

20. Gicon

Gicon Senior Member
    from MA

$1,000 per hour

The only thing that would make sense to me, is those guys are doing 65-70 of those driveways an hour, to make a decent hourly pay. The only way you can do that many for that little money is in a condo complex, or the like.