1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

plowing driveways

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by gmcdan, Dec 21, 2013.

1. gmcdan

gmcdan Senior Member

I only plow my own driveway because I feel my plow isn't suitable to be going around for money and I don't want to intrfear with the pros who have a lot invested and need the work, I see some people push snow accros the street wondering if that's legal procedure or a no no. I have enough room where I can put snow but was just wondering incase im asked to help someone else; how about the snow infront of mailbox technically is the road. tried looking it up but found no answers

located in mn.

2. Moose's Mowing

Moose's Mowing Senior Member
    from SE PA

A good number of my drives have to be pushed outwards and across the street. No complaints yet but I'm always sure to clean up and not leave piles of snow on the road. Sometimes I'll plow out around a mailbox for the mailman too. All depends on the situation I guess. The places I do push across the street aren't in to anyone's front lawn either. So I'd say use your discretion.

3. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

A quick call to your local municipality will answer that question for you. Usually nobody will care as long as you don't leave a pile in the road or a bunch of trails.

4. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

This is our local ordnance.

§21-306. Snow and Ice Not to Be Placed on Plowed Street; Penalty
    Any owner and/or occupant or other person
    who removes, snow, ice, slush, or any
    combination thereof from the sidewalks or from any other places within the Township
    of East Pennsboro or anywhere else shall not
    place the same on any public street, road,
    highway, or thoroughfare when such snow,
    ice, slush, or any combination thereof is
    removed after such time as the public street, road, highway or thoroughfare has been
    plowed or cleared for the purpose of allowing free and safe passage of vehicular traffic
    thereon. Any owner and/or occupant or person
    violating the terms and provisions of this
    Part, upon conviction thereof, shall be sentenced to pay a fine or penalty of not more
    than $1,000 plus costs and, in default of payment of said fine and costs, to a term of
    imprisonment not to exceed 30 days. Each day that a violation of this Part continues
    shall constitute a separate offense

Now if I understand our ordnance correct it is allowed until the township trucks have plowed the street.

5. Fantastic

Fantastic Senior Member

Here's from Ontario....

Section 181 of the Highway Traffic Act

"Deposit snow or ice on roadway"

Fine: $110.00

No person shall deposit snow or ice on a roadway without permission in writing to do so from the Ministry or the road authority responsible for the maintenance of the road.

But it has to be a lot of it for someone to call it in... City plows where I am just plow through it and don't care too much.

6. myzx6

myzx6 Member

From what I get out of those ordinances, you can't leave snow in the road, I didn't read anything about pushing across the road????

7. Fantastic

Fantastic Senior Member

Exactly ;) Push away... But don't leave a flake behind!! :)

8. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Best to err on the side of caution. I don't push into, onto or across the street. Just not worth the risk of some old retired person complaining and me ending up with a fine.

But if you do decided to push across the street just have to be mindful of where you are pushing it to. Few years back a guy plowed the drive across the street into my front yard, in the process he snapped the top of my water box. Goes without saying I was pissed. Pretty sure most people would be unhappy about someone pushing snow onto their property.

9. Fantastic

Fantastic Senior Member

Yeah, hitting something or ticking someone off over a pile of snow would cause a lot of unwanted garbage.... Common sense when/if you have to do it is key.

10. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge PlowSite Veteran
    from NJ

Last edited: Dec 22, 2013
  11. MattR

MattR Senior Member

Gmcdan, the best thing you can do is ask your city or town clerk. I asked mine and he was nice enough to look it up for me and even supply me with a copy of it in case some crabby person calls the cops on me.

This is what my town clerk provided me with....
    So you can bet I am carrying a copy of this in each truck and tractor I use for plowing snow. Whenever possible, I avoid going across the road with the snow, yet I do have a couple that almost require pushing it across the road because there is basically no room to pile it. In those cases, I have the property owner get written permission from their neighbor across the road giving permission to pile the snow on their property, and I get a copy of that.

12. Snoviper

Snoviper Senior Member

In New York it is a violation to push it across the road. people here still do it. It gives them the ability to give you a ticket if someone complains. it also may be because there are a few drivers that leave big piles in the road while pushing across. Need to check your local laws.

13. ppkgmsy

ppkgmsy Member
    from Vermont

There's probably some legitimate public safety issue to having such an ordinance on the books. I can't imagine trying to enforce it here in rural VT, though. We've got ot put the snow somewhere. Everyone seems to try and do the right thing and I've never heard of anyone getting hassled.

14. 2ExploreSnow

2ExploreSnow Member

In a small town in Upstate NY, I was involved in a small fender-bender due to someone in a plow truck not looking before pushing across the road. He didn't slow down coming down the driveway and I don't think even looked before crossing until too late. There wasn't much line of site due to grade, curves, and trees around. Speed limit is 55mph but that part is more like under 30mph and even less that day.

I'm don't have a problem, just use common sense and pay attention to traffic, whether in town, suburbs, or deep in the mountains. Also, as others have mentioned clean up the windrows and don't use neighbors as dumping grounds.

As far as mailbox, so long as the carrier can reach the mailbox from vehicle AND not get stuck (very important) you're good. The 4wd-right steering Subaru & Jeeps have an advantage here. Otherwise, they do need to be cleared of snow. ... Basically a plow/bucket width or 2 before and after the mailbox is good enough unless you are getting some serious drifting or it's next to a wall. ... Landscape Designers -- Please avoid the temptation of installing bushes/trees/pretty rocks next to mailbox -- especially in areas that receive more than a few inches of snow :)

15. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

In Minnesota it is illegal to push snow across the street. I did it ONE time and got a talking to by the police. Didn't even leave anything in the road. Cleaned it up real nice and it was only about two passes worth.

16. WingPlow

WingPlow Senior Member

what you need to remember pushing across the road is your putting snow on town or state owned land,
    and many towns do not want ANYTHING on or in their right of way...

now mind you, if you push it far enough off the road and leave NOTHING behind you probably wont get hassled, but leave a mess and it will haunt you for a long time.

also be very mindful of catch basins and drainage ditches...block one of those and I can almost bank on you
    getting at least a talking to if not a fine

17. gmcdan

gmcdan Senior Member

nope not going to do anything if someone asks ,just going to say Im not insured properly eqiped etc. they need to pay piper or do it themselves . also have county roads mixed with city streets im sure the fines are more strict on county roads than the city streets .

only had 1 person ask when we got that 9-10 inches of wet heavy snow last year his driveway was in and around a farmhouse id say easily 500 ft . he must have been a renter had no tractor or truck.:realmad: