1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plowing Driveways

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by ItsSnowProblem, Dec 1, 2011.

1. ItsSnowProblem

ItsSnowProblem Junior Member

I am new to plowing but I have noticed that sometimes a plow will leave marks or scratches in the pavement. How do you address this when plowing driveways? Should I mention that I may leave marks on the drive? Should I have a customer sign a contract that staes this and that they are aware? Finally, do I just keep quiet and hope for the best?

Thank you.
  2. BossPlow2010

BossPlow2010 PlowSite.com Addict

Put it in a contract, and not just marks but damage also.
  3. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

You can run a poly or rubber wearedge to stop the sealer damage.
  4. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

Depends on the exact situation- I have a customer where the ribs in the back of the trip edge will tear up the drive if I enter the drive with the plow angled at all because of the angle of the driveway- it is a small hill and the crest is just right to transition from the cutting edge to the ribs. Cutting edge wear is not a factor- when the customer had the driveway paved (used to be gravel) they changed the grading and created this issue.

Put it in writing as stated.
  5. ItsSnowProblem

ItsSnowProblem Junior Member

Thanks for the good advice guys, I appreciate it.
  6. jklawn&Plow

jklawn&Plow Senior Member

I left the kickstand down twice, ouch 2nd time really mangled it. Driveway looked fine all summer, guess it disappeared. Definitely have to season the new plow to "break all corners" of the bottom cutting edge.
  7. M&S Snowplowing

M&S Snowplowing Senior Member

I have it in my contracts that I will not be responsible for what I consider normal plowing damage (chips scratches and such, now if I do major damage like taking out a large chunk of concrete or removing a curb I will take care of that. I keep a concrete guy on standby for this purpose, luckily i've never had to use him.