1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plowing Driveways

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Vandora Lawn & Landscape, Dec 19, 2000.

1. Vandora Lawn & Landscape

Vandora Lawn & Landscape Junior Member

How do you plow a driveway that goes up to a garage? I'm new to this stuff obviously.

2. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

Drive up to the door, backdrag at least the length of your truck, then turn around, and back up to the door and push out to across street. Just be sure the neighbors across the street are OK with snow on their property. If not, don't take it on. Leave it for the neighbor boy with a shovel or snowblower.

I have also had some people let me back into their garage, and push out! They were great! I only take on side loading garage driveways now.

3. Vandora Lawn & Landscape

What's backdraggin?

4. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Mentor, Angel
    from Chicago

Another way is to have a back plow on your truck and back up to the door and drop it and the front plow and drive on out. You can also push the snow off to each side of the end of the driveway your doing instead of pushing it across the street. That is a no no in most towns anyway and can be a big fine. They don't have to see you doing it either, all they have to do is ask the owner who did the driveway.

5. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

Pushing snow across the street is something i will not do,it is illegal and the DOT is cracking down on it now,big time.

6. John Allin

John Allin PlowSite.com Addict

Your best bet would be to invest in SIMA's Snowplowing Video. It is for beginner plowers and will explain backdragging (with video of same), how to plow driveways, cautions about plowing across the street, how to plow without going across the street, how to plow curved driveways, etc.

If you're a SIMA member the Video is under $100. SIMA membership is $135 and worth the investment too, if you are going to "have at it" in a profitable way.

Either way - buy the Video

http://www.sima.org

7. Vandora Lawn & Landscape

I'm not going to be plowing until at the earliest next year. I'm just wondering what backdraggin is?

8. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Mentor, Angel
    from Chicago

Back dragging is when you pull up to a garage door and drop the plow and back up to drag the snow backwards.

9. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

Of the 2 houses that I have to push across the street, both are into farmers fields. And I am in and out before the township or borough come through. This is exactly why I say no to plowing front loading garages. If by chance the road is plowed before I get there, The street is left cleaner than when I came.

If you don't know what back dragging is Vandora, I think you should spend the next snowfall observing others plowing in your area. You can never have too much experience in this field. I learn something new every season that helps me be more efficient. I had years of riding experience and tractor experience before I got my drivers license.