1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plowing Driveways with a Regular Cab, Long Bed DUALLY?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by mkwl, Sep 13, 2009.

1. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

Well, I'm looking at trading my truck up to a newer model 3500HD. There's a dealer nearby with a 2009 Red Chevy 3500HD RC/LB D-Max for a decent price, but it's a Dually. How much of a PITA is plowing drives with a dually? I assume I'd have to get a 8.5' or 9' blade, but is it going to be too wide to effectively plow resi's?

I'm also looking into a 2009 3500HD SRW with the 6.0L and an 8' Fisher for $31,000- good deal?

I'd like the diesel, but I'm not sure I can really justify one...

2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

I plowed driveways for several years with a DRW. These are not your typical urban driveways, though. 9' would be the minimum width for effectiveness.

3. All Season Lawn

All Season Lawn Member

Depends on you drives, around here I wouldn't even think of buying one for the single drives we have. most of the single drives around us are 8ft wide with houses on one side....good luck :dizzy:

4. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

Depends on the size of your driveways. Around here I could plow my driveways with a CC/LB dualy and an 8611 and not have many problems. Other driveways I see a mini truck and a 6.6ft blade would be best.

5. SuperdutyShane

SuperdutyShane PlowSite.com Addict

You could do something like an Xls or a Wideout because then you could change the width of your blade depending on the width of the driveway. Good luck with whatever you choose.

6. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

I bought my 2006 3500 GMC SRW with the 6.0L and an 8' Fisher for $24K new back in 2006..... Its a stripped model with only ac as an option but the price was right ...

7. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

If you don't need a dually, like for lots of towing or carrying a sander, get the SRW. I think there are still many good deals to be had on trucks, so keep looking for just what you want/need.

8. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

x2. If your just going to be driving aroung mostly I'd say a dually is a bit over kill. But if you plan to tow a gooseneck with a lot of pin weight or a tag trailer with a heavy tounge weight then a dually is the cat's meow.

9. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

Can someone explain why you'd get a dually if you could get a 3500 srw with a diesel?
    You have the exact same suspension and everything, minus 2 training wheels that have to be replaced when you get new rubber... IMO a srw can carry the weight just as good as a dually... I've had 6K in the bed of my 3500 and didnt think twice about anything

10. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

:rolleyes: LOL :D

11. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

x two or three even

12. AiRhed

AiRhed Senior Member

Two rear tires equals redundancy, and stability. For me, It's a safety thing when towing large loads. If I blow out a tire or have a puncture, I have another tire to at least stop on (redundancy) Just my .02 cents. I love my dually, drive it everyday for work, groceries and what not. Get a rear plow, it would work fine for driveways 8' or wider.

13. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

I think the GVWR on a DRW is 11000 and the SRW is 9900. and the 2500 HD GVWR is 9200. I am not exactly sure on those numbers but i think i am close.

14. AiRhed

AiRhed Senior Member

My total GVWR on the dodge DRW 1ton is a tick over 11000. My rear only GVWR is 7500.

15. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

to the original question ... a dually for driveways ...... Let me paint a picture for you....

:realmad: .... You'll be sorry.

16. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

If I was going to be towing a lot or carry over 4k in the bed of my truck I'd take a dually over a srw any day. So much more stable towing and it's nice knowing if you loose a rear tire you still have 3 others instead of 1 other.

Depends on the dually, our 05 f350 at the farm is 13,000 gvwr. A 07 srw 1ton cummins is 10,100 and a 07 2500 cummins is 9000.

17. jomama45

jomama45 PlowSite.com Addict

I have an '01 Chevy ext. cab DRW. The door says 11,400 gvw, 4800 front, 8550 rear. IMO, anyone who thinks a SRW handles weight as well as a DRW is a little naive, or has never hauled heavy trailers for many miles with a DRW. I have a 2500 HD that has DRW leaf springs in the back also ($700+ later), & that truck doesn't even come close to the "driveability" the dually has when towing. If safety (i have employees that drive the vehicles also) & stability don't mean anything to you, I'd say stick with the SRW.

18. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

You would have to have a 9' plow IMO. It would work, but you would be better off with a non dual weel truck IMO.

19. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

:confused:

20. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

lol. I noticed that also.