1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plowing driveways with a one ton dump truck

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by turfguy87, Nov 23, 2009.

1. turfguy87

turfguy87 Member
    from OHIO

How many of you guys plow driveways with a one ton dump truck?

I am new to plowing and am considering purchasing a Ford F450 4x4 dump.
    What are your guys' opinions on using this type of truck for plowing driveways?

I thought it would be good to have so that I could easily plow parking lots as well.

Any comments would be awesome.

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Ask Enzo,he'll tell you.

3. plowindiesel

plowindiesel Senior Member

hope your driveways are extra wide!!! i'm sure it can be done but, thats a big truck to use for driveways. some long bed 3/4 ton trucks are almost a little big because of there turning radius. not saying it cant be done but imo an f450 would be better suited to a parking lot. best of luck!!

4. ford550

ford550 Senior Member

Look at my sig. Been plowing driveways with those big a** trucks for years. Just gotta know what you are doing or you will "F" things up.

5. Wayne Volz

Wayne Volz Senior Member

Too big

I think it is too big for drives. It will be great for parking lots or straight line plowing.

6. snocrete

snocrete Banned

Not my 1rst choice on a driveway rig, but it can be done... on occasions I will do some of the drives we take care of with the 1 ton dump. Like whats been said, pay attention to the extra width your carrying, carefully plan your attack, and you should be fine.

7. slappysdump

slappysdump Junior Member

I plow with a 2002 Ford F-350 dump truck and small driveways and my truck don't get along. If the drive is less than 3-4 truck lengths long and a car and a half wide I don't even bother. I do my mother in laws drive in a trailer park and its tricky. Long straight drives and parking lots are cake though.

8. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

I use one, works great. It's in my sig.

9. Premier

Premier Senior Member

can be done

Used them in the past and if need be i would/could do it again, a little more jockying around,but can do. we are using a chevy 1500 works good on our lots under 1 acre then takes on the drives that the atvs dont get to.

10. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

What size driveways?

I plow some intown that my ec/sb 1/2ton is a pita to use. I also plow others you could use a loader and a 12ft box on and not have a problem.

11. snow tender

snow tender Senior Member

Like others have said take your time to plan your attack. May take you a little longer but time saver in lots.

12. Pennings Garden

Pennings Garden Senior Member
    from VA

I've been doing it for years, When I started plowing I worked for a guy and I plowed in his f350 extened cab, long bed, diesel and that was harder then it is now in my 3500 dump.
    That being said, don't just let anybody plow in that truck, it is not the size that will bother you, it will be the bad visibility.

13. Born2Push

Born2Push Junior Member

My F350 tonners are a bit big for my drive, and I don't have a small drive...

If I were doing driveway accounts where time on site would be important, I would use something with a much shorter wheelbase, like Jeeps, as the turning radius, visibility, and nimbleness let me get the same work done in less than half the time.