1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plowing driveways with a mason dump- and 9' straight blade?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by mkwl, Dec 8, 2014.

1. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

Hi All-

My business has been expansing pretty consistently the last couple years, and I'm at the point where we usually take both my pickups out to plow (we're doing 75 residential drives right now- with walk shoveling- about 6-7 hours per truck in a good storm). I feel like it would be a wise decision to mount a plow up to my 2012 GMC 3500HD mason dump as a "backup" to my pickups (as they're both getting up there in age and mileage and if one goes down in a big storm I'm going to be sweating bullets hoping that the other doesn't have a problem), but my question us, how much "worse" am I going to be as far as maneuverability, traction, etc. with a dually mason dump with a 9' blade versus my pickups with 8' blades? Anyone out there use mason dumps exclusively for drives?

I'm leaning towards a Western Pro Plus 9' for the mason dump- was quoted $5,750 plus tax installed- good price? Good plow for mostly drives?

2. GMCHD plower

GMCHD plower PlowSite.com Addict

Having plowing with a few friends Mason dumps, they plow pretty good as long as you have plenty of weight in the back. Obviously visibility is less than a pickup, takes some getting used to. I would consider putting another Fisher straight blade on the Mason dump so that you have interchangeability between all your trucks.
  3. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

That's what I was thinking- load up the bed with some concrete blocks, etc.

I like the fishers, but westerns back drag better, and a new fisher wouldn't be compatible with my older ones, so going western wouldn't really hurt interchangeability since I couldn't put an existing plow on this truck and visa versa...
  4. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

I plowed drives with a chevy 3500 dump with a 8'6 plow and an international 4700 with a 10 plow,no problem.
  5. xgiovannix12

xgiovannix12 PlowSite.com Addict

I dont see an issue with the mason dump other then less viability. I think its a good business choice
  6. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

Did driveways with a 1 ton dump and a vee plow for years and years, never had an issue. If you don't need it to haul anything in the winter I'd take the tailgate off too.
  7. JTVLandscaping

JTVLandscaping Senior Member

make way for the plow king!

8. John_DeereGreen

John_DeereGreen PlowSite.com Addict

I don't think you'll have much more trouble than you have now. It's obviously not ideal for driveways, but it'll get the job done as a backup.

I'd be tempted to set it up on a 4 hour commercial route if you can market commercial stuff.
  9. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

Hey,you found an old pic of me! But I've downsized,its now a little gmc 4500 with 10' plow and 11' bed lol
  10. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

Thanks for the input guys- thoughts on plow size? I'm leaning towards 9', but seems some guys run 8.5' plows on one dumps?
  11. gtmustang00

gtmustang00 Senior Member
    from Berlin

Go with the 9ft. You'll like it if you have any curved or circles/islands to go around.
  12. John_DeereGreen

John_DeereGreen PlowSite.com Addict

If I were buying a new one, 9 foot for sure!
  13. JimMarshall

JimMarshall Senior Member
    from NW PA

We plow drives with any and all of the equipment in my signature
  14. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

Ok thanks for the info guys- sounds like it will do just fine with a 9' straight blade on it.

My other thought was to replace my oldest truck with a brand new one, new plow, but at $45K+ for a whole new setup, I think a new blade on my mason dump is a better bet…. and I can probably get another couple years out of the 'ol '03! :nod:
  15. Glenn Lawn Care

Glenn Lawn Care Senior Member

I've seen a company here in Minnesota plowing a driveway with a tandem axle dump truck right across the street from my house.
  16. xgiovannix12

xgiovannix12 PlowSite.com Addict

Sounds like a pain in the ass
  17. vmj

vmj Senior Member
    from conn

I been plowing with a mason dump for 22 years now... always had an 8'6 fisher and a sander on.. My neck does hurt more now that im older from costanly looking side to side in mirrors... lol I just up grade truck and to a 9' V this year... Havnt used it yet...
  18. dstifel

dstifel Senior Member
    from Iowa

Just an idea I have a truck (my personal one) that has mounts and wired but have no plow. It is soley a backup as one of my trucks is older and plow is new. Obviously not a great plan if plows are older though.
  19. TPCLandscaping

TPCLandscaping Senior Member

i've plowed with my 3500 ram (crew cab w/ a dump bed)… it does ok on residential and it had a 9' straight blade..i've switched it over to a 9.5' V now. I would go with a V plow instead
  20. D&JsLawn

D&JsLawn Member

I plow them with my GMC. It's not ideal but it gets the job done. The Blizzard makes it nice because you can do some driveways in one pass