1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plowing Driveways, Unprofessional?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by lawnlandscape, Oct 28, 2009.

1. lawnlandscape

lawnlandscape Senior Member

Alright guys. This post may make some people a little cranky... lol, but all the posts I see on this site about driveways is talking about how people plow them.

I have been in the landscape business for many years, but just started doing snow removal 3 years ago.

I do have some nice commercial accounts, but for driveways I have NEVER used a plow. Ok, well I have once or twice, then thought it looked like crap and did not have the professional look I was looking for

I did not get complaints about the few times I plowed the driveways, it was more that I was just not happy with the way it looked over snowblowing.

So thats how I do them. I have about 12 resi accounts, and 100% of the time they are done with snowblowers. I think they look a lot more perfessional looking when done this way. We do the sidewalks, front step, everything! This this also adds value to our service.

My largest house has 2 driveways, each about 120' long. They are curved so it would be easier to plow a home like this then most, but I still have my resi crew snow blow it.

Does anyone else agree with me, that it just is a lot more professional to be snowblowing driveways, then to be attempting to backdrag them.

Or am I on my own on this one?

Last edited: Oct 28, 2009
  2. THEGOLDPRO

THEGOLDPRO PlowSite Veteran

you're on your own. i dont get out of my truck when plowing.

3. jimspro

jimspro Senior Member

i have been plowing drives for over 20 yrs, and i am pretty anal on how it looks, if you have the right equipment, you can do drives and they will look great, and take a lot less time, therefore you can do more in the same time and make more $$$ isnt that whats its all about?

4. cubicinches

cubicinches PlowSite.com Addict

Not sure if you're on your own, but I'M not with you! ;)

5. lawnlandscape

umm.. yes.. we all work to make money, but its also about keeping my customers happy and retaining customers, striving for the highest quality, and getting the word of mouth going to get new ones.

And I have yet to see a plowed driveway to look as nice as a blown driveway, done by anyone.

6. THEGOLDPRO

i plow like 60 something driveways and have never had someone complaine about how it looks. and i have only lost maybe 3 customers in the last 5 years. one died, one moved, and one was a dead beat,

7. lawnlandscape

Yes, ok, but based on your previous post, about how you dont even get out of your truck, then who does the walks? 98% of my customers and elderly, and will not be getting out to do the walks, if they are not able to do the driveways

8. cubicinches

cubicinches PlowSite.com Addict

We do 700+ drives and don't get out of the truck. Not shoveling doesn't seem to be affecting our business.

9. THEGOLDPRO

the homeowners do the walks, and whatever i cant get with the truck, i get as close the the garage as i can, and move on to the next place, if i got out to shovel every driveway i plow it would take me 10 hours to do em all.

i tell them straight up i dont shovel,i dont snow blow, ill do my very best for you, and thats all i can do. time is money in plowing.

10. lawnlandscape

I am extremely surprised, as I thought I would be, and the responses so far.

11. lawnlandscape

Thats when you hire another guy, and increase your rates for those who want full service. Sounds like an easy way to expand your business to me

12. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

well i tell you what, I AM WITH YOU, we do many residences and we use shovels and blowers, only pull out skidsteers and such when it gets really bad, otherwise it is all blowers

13. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

I have 2 or 3 guys in each residential truck so that the truck is never really sitting around other than loading and unloading. Works pretty good for me. You have to offer a full service around here, otherwise people will look elsewhere.

14. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Only had one person complain about my plowing. It was my father in law! He was one of those guys who would setup a survey line ,mark the driveway ,blow it out then take the shovel and round the sides.

As for everyone else if that's the service you want to provide I hope your getting well paid for it. I'm sure if some dude came in for half the price and just dropped his blade and left ,you know the customer would drop you.

15. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

You're going to snowblow 500' of this? It's my driveway.

driveway.JPG

16. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Buck a foot ,each time.payup

17. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Great, that's what makes America what it is, the freedom and ability to do as you please and get paid for it.

It doesn't make it unprofessional, it is just another way of doing the work.

What works in your area may or may not work in another area.

On the other hand, once you start talking 100 drives or more per route, get back to us on those snowblowers and your profit.

Sorry, you may not like this, but you have 12 drives, have been plowing for 3 years and now are lecturing on what is and isn't professional. By myself, I have 8X as much experience as you do. If you want, we can ask my father, he has 16X as much experience as you do.

But you know the saying, opinions are like a-holes, everybody has one.

18. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

I agree a snowblower does a better job than a plow.
    That said, I have no complaints about the quality of my plowing. And I can plow about 10 faster than a snowblower can blow payuppayup

As for shoveling... after back surgery 13 years ago I no longer shovel, my customers know this.

19. Jon Geer

Jon Geer Member

My legs would get cold.:blush2: I only get out of my truck for fuel and to relieve myself. I do not think that many clients would pay the price I would charge for snow blowing or shoveling.payup

The warmth of a truck feels great.:yow!:

Just a guy who plows.

20. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

I can agree with you lawnlandscape. IMO a shoveled or snow-blown driveway does look better than a plowed one.

However, doing more in less time is the ultimate goal. for production purposes plowing is the way to go.

I happen to like the look of my driveways after I hand shovel. :D

::::time to duck and weave....incoming!!::::