1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plowing driveways technique?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by bluejeep, Dec 1, 2005.

1. bluejeep

bluejeep Member
    from IL

I m going to be plowing some driveways but I m not sure how to approach them correctly. I m not sure, but from reading around and using common sense, you cant push snow on to the street or into the opposite side of the road. So you have to move it on either side of the driveway. How do you start and what angle do you use on a small 2 car length 2 car width driveway?
  2. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

About 20deg to 35deg with some 90deg thrown in,lol,,:rolleyes:
  3. Hmebuildr

Hmebuildr Senior Member

They are all different and a lot depends on where you can put the snow. Drives with no garage just a straight push back. Drives with a garage will need to be back dragged and the snow pushed off to the side. Each one is different and without seeing them it is hard to say where to put the snow.
  4. bluejeep

bluejeep Member
    from IL

Most homes here are the ones with a garage in the front.
  5. Mowerpan

Mowerpan Senior Member

For a short drive way with a house at the end. Go up to the garage drop the blade and back drag till rigth at the end of the driveway. Then come from an angle and push those piles into the end corner of the driveway.
  6. fourspeedfish

fourspeedfish Member

or if the street has not been scraped yet push it all in the street, finish with a lifted push to look like the sonw was in the street...city guys will put it over the curb anyways
  7. bluejeep

bluejeep Member
    from IL

Thanks guys!
  8. daninline

daninline Senior Member

try to never push the snow to the highest point of the drive as it will melt and make a ice skating rink of the drive.

ALso when pushing the snow to the corner of the drive push it to the left side of the drive from the street so the street plow wont push as much snow back into the drive.

Also don't push into the street and if you do clean up after your self/
  9. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

Thats a dumb idea, its also illegal, I would not be recommending this to others even if I did it myself (which I dont).

With a gargage in front: If your turning left into the driveway to start, angle full right and come in to the drive at approximately a 45 degree angle (in this case, the smaller the truck the better). As you get closer to the right side of the drive start to straighten the plow out a little and stack the snow on the grass. Then you can back out the way you came in and do the same thing (reverse everything) for the other side so you end up with a v shape that you can easily backdrag the remaining snow in the middle out of and stack it on the sides like you did the other snow. With whats left, you can back drag again and push off to the sides then you have a large, cleared area to back into and push out to touch up all the small details along the sides of the drive and make it look smooth. The idea is to get as much "bulk" off as you can going foward (again the smaller the truck, the easier this will be for driveways), then you hopefully can take care of the details by backing in and pushing out. The more snow you get, the harder it is to find places to stack it and the more you have to find places to "unload" your plow.
  10. Tri-County INC.

Tri-County INC. Member

that is funny i agree with the other guy that is the dumbest thing i ever heard of. hope you got endless flow of cash to pay all those tickets you will be getting.