1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

plowing driveways, limiting movements

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by bribrius, Dec 19, 2007.

1. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

im paying closer attention to how many movements i do with the truck when plowing. I noticed i could shift less and do more in less time if i think before i move the gear shifter. combining movements to be more efficient. it's helping me alot in backdragging and pushing the snow i backdragged to the side because i was chasing my own windrows but now i am thinking more about it so i dont have to do a seperate movement just to clean up from the last movement. same with plowing the driveway ends back. im hitting one side on the way in now all in one shot if possible and going right up the drive in the same pass if instead of plowiing the ends back seperatley and taking more time and shifting more. also if im going to have to go back again for another push or cleanup im trying to force myself to not be so picky since i will have to scrape it and catch the details later anyway.

wondering if everyone else goes through this. just thinking im saving time and a tranny by trying to be more fluid about it.
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2007
  2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Lets see if I type this out what I'm thinking.

Depending on if the road was plowed.If not I back drag the drive ,push snow up on the front corner of lawn. Then I'll make a pass on the street so when the plow comes by there's not a lot on the approach this way it buys you some time to get back without them getting stuck in it.
  3. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

lots of drives are different. i think it's harder to explain how to plow than it is to do it. lol.

but im glad somone got the basic meaning of my post. :D

and yeah. the pass on the road is a good idea. i usually hit that when i push the snow back from the mailbox. if they have a mailbox. i also kept catching myself running the back wheels over the banks and knocking snow back into the drive. something else im avoiding doing now by keeping the plow less angled on corners so i dont track over my own banks. same with backing into banks. also combining passes instead of backdragging one thing and pushing it away im trying to backdrag a couple things then pushing the snow from both away. it is harder to explain. but yeah. you get the idea. saving time. saving tranny.
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2007
  4. Ever notice ??

Sometimes I do a driveway the same way every time

And sometimes(it seems) I am acting like I have never done (this one) before.
    Or , maybe I am still trying to get better and more efficient.

A year ago, I read some one comment on 'happy hands' --unnecessary
    plow control/movement. And that has made me more aware of my habits.
    Which are hard to break.

When my partner rides with me or Im riding with him-- we do the drives very

I have to say that I need to pause and make a tentative plan--based on the amount
    of snow, drifts and what is parked in the way.

Thinking. that could help.