1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plowing drives with an ATV?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by mkwl, Jan 1, 2006.

1. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

Well guys, I have a question for you. I have been looking at getting a new Kawasaki Prairie 360 4x4 ATV, with a Warn winch, and a 48" plow blade. Now I am wondering, how well ATV's can plow, and how much snow thay can move. The dealer swore by Kawasaki ATV's and said they'd move 6"+ of snow no problem. Has anyone else out there used an ATV for plowing. If so, how does it work. Also, I was quoted $6,049 for the new 2006 Kawasaki Prairie 360 4x4 (362cc's, single cylinder 4 stroke, air cooled), with 4 wheel drive, a Warn winch, and a 48" plow. Is this a fair price? Thanks in advance.

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

buy the biggest motor you can afford. i have a350 wolverine and if its wet the quad struggles

3. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

Take a look at these plows:

They seem to be soooo much better than the winch operated ones, if i had an ATV or UTV, this is what i would put on it.
  4. CrazyPlower

CrazyPlower Member
    from CT

I have a 300 prairie 4x4 and it does well in the snow i have the same set up that your looking at. The only problem is at the the beginning of the driveway where the plows have already put the snow in a 12+ snow storm thats your only worrys. I just made a box for my atv so i can push snow for that particular reason i have yet to try it out. Maybe thats why CT isnt getting any snow i dont know. Other than that it works well i have about 25 residentials and i do a few churches with it. There is one advice i have to give you tho. The clamps underneath the atv the bracket that hooks the plow mount up make sure you get plenty of those. I lost 1 this morning and I was struggling witht he sliding of the plow. The way i mean by that is it moves left to right when i am pushing alot of snow. Good luck with your choice and get some pics. I will hopefully have some pics of my homemade box on here soon.
  5. jax1013

jax1013 Senior Member

I've had both...go for the largest you can afford..the 4 trax was only a 300 and the difference b/t the rubicon (500) was night and day. The rubicon goes throught w/out any effort while the smaller struggled. Just dont let the snow build up so much.. If your doing that many residential drives you should consider a jeep wrangler IMO good luck. Also if you dont want to go for that 6k + check out ebay..you can get a good deal and you can never go wrong w/ a Honda...Regards Jack
  6. Stuffdeer

Stuffdeer Senior Member

Ok, 6 inches is to low. My 400 can push 12 to 14. But as well as a quote, That was a little high. Nobody quote me on this, But I believe the automatic tranny and belts in the 360 is horrible for torqe
    See if you can find a 2004 Suzuki Eiger. You should be able to get one out the door for around 5 plus the price of a plow. Also, Get the manual lift, I've used both, and opted for the manual on mine. ITS SO MUCH QUICKER

7. Fastcar

Fastcar Member
    from MA

I've used both the Kawi 360 and the Kawi 700. Both are good machines and will move snow but the 700 is the way to go imo.

8. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

I saw a guy plowing a small parking lot with a quad and I mean a small lot and I don't know if it was the operator or what but man what a mess! He left rows all over the place, it looked like a lot that was never touched and cars just kept driving all over it leaving ruts everywhere. Iv'e seen other guys doing driveways and they made it look like it was more of a PITA then it's worth, pyling snow everywhere, getting stuck,etc.
  9. wls

wls Senior Member

I have a 48" on my wife's sportsman 400, seems to have enough power. It has'nt been used in 2 years (the Plow). Mine is lifted by a winch, which to me is really slow. But it pushes good. Maybe the hand lifted ones are faster.
  10. mud

mud Senior Member

I would recomend going with a slightly larger atv and a 52 or 60 inch blade. The 48 inch blades dont clear a wide enough track for the tires when angled. On the other hand the 60 inch that I have on my big bear works fantastic in small drives and for sidewalks.
  11. crazymike

crazymike Senior Member
    from Toronto

kids around here make a few hundred bucks a storm on their ATV doing driveways, plowing windrow from city drive, etc... They just drive around and ask people. However, they have lots of time and $300 is a lot of money in one day. For someone trying to make a living, it seems like a hastle.
  12. jax1013

jax1013 Senior Member

plow for your s10

I tried to PM you and it will receive PM...:alien: I have a 6.8 fisher MMII on a gmc jimmy in good shape..it would probably fit your s10 give me a call 917 417 6611
    Regards Jack
  13. jax1013

jax1013 Senior Member

plow for your s10

I tried to PM you and it wouldn"t receive PM...:alien: I have a 6.8 fisher MMII on a gmc jimmy in good shape..it would probably fit your s10 give me a call 917 417 6611
    Regards Jack
  14. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

What size plow do you have?
  15. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

I plowed for two years with my 700 Sportsman with a 5 foot plow. It could have pushed a 7 footer easy. I pushed at least 12 inches more than once, but when I had the time I would do it every 6 inches. If you stay ahead of the storm and plow every 4 or so, you will be fine. However, I would never recommend doing it commercially. It is just way too time consuming. I suppose if thats all you got, but look at it this way. My driveway used to take me ten minutes with an 8 foot Fisher. The 5 foot ATV plow took me 45 minutes. I used a 24" snowblower last year, took me 45 minutes. This year I'm using a Blizzard 810, now only takes me five minutes. What happens with the 5 foot plow is the snow seems to always fall in behind it, and your path is only 3 feet wide. So you have to do about a hundred trips back and forth. Be good for walkways I guess.
  16. Ian

Ian Member

I think most small driveways that are two cars wide and two cars long are perfect for an atv or one of the new utility type vehicles. I won't do small drives with my truck and plow. It is like killing a bee with a shotgun.

Longbed with an extended cab can get to be a pain in the ***.
  17. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

So, do you guys think a 362cc Kawasaki could push a 5' plow w/o problems?
  18. Deere John

Deere John Senior Member

Where do you guys pile the snow with the ATV's, since they can't pile very high? I can't see how you can make a whole winter and not have the banks chase you back into the driven area. I end up with banks 7 feet high using the truck, and I usually still have to bring the backhoe at least once a year to ramp them back/higher.

I'm also wondering how the transmissions hold up to all the back-up and go ahead business? I have a Honda 400 and a plow left over from a previous Honda 350, but I haven't mated them yet for the reason about transmission wear.
  19. CrazyPlower

CrazyPlower Member
    from CT

I have had my atv since 2001 and my plow since 2002 still the same transmission in it since i bought the thing. And you were saying about the snow banks. I usually push it across the way so i dont have to deal with that situation
  20. BDB

BDB Senior Member

I have a Yamaha Kodiak 450 w/60" Moose Util plow and it works great for it purpose. Side walks and some times I run curblines to push the snow away to clean it up really nice. And yes 12" of wet stuff isn't bad. I use low gear on the auto trans to save life on the belt when it is wet and heavy. As said its not meant for pushing up piles. Also had an electric spreader on it to spread salt on sidewalks....worked great!