1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

plowing drive thru's

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by lawn king, Nov 25, 2005.

1. lawn king

lawn king PlowSite.com Addict

Our plowing gig is 99% banks. Last season i was plowing a drive thru & i thought i had the clearence, my blade wrenched between the concrete islands at full angle and stopped my truck (14500 # gvw) hard! I managed to get it out after a few minutes & only damaged the paint but it could have been a disaster. Watch those drive-thrus people, both length & with!

2. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Watch the mirrors on the pass thru's on the walls too. My drivers side mirror housing has a nice crease from a CVS drive thru. I have to do some of the CVS's in steps because there is just not enough space to turn the corners.

3. basheroffroad

basheroffroad Junior Member

perfect example of why I want a jeep! you can make the turns and can get anywhere.

4. echovalley

echovalley Senior Member
    from CT

This year we are only doing banks.I run 9fters on my 350 pickups so what we are doing is pre treating the drivethrus with liquid at the same time we spray the walks that way all you do is backblade or just back into the drivethru[instead of trying to push the snow through it]

5. yankees1

yankees1 Junior Member

echo where in ct r u from?

6. echovalley

echovalley Senior Member
    from CT

I'm up in litchfield

7. sixspeed

sixspeed Senior Member

And the blade too even when it's not down!!! :) One of those brick canopy support columns at one of the local Walgreens was shifted a full inch from where it was whacked wiith the bottom corner of the cutting edge of a raised blade!! You could see the gouge in the mortar where the edge dug in and just shifted the entire slice of column above that point and it was just exactly at the height of where a raised blade's edge would be.

Damn thing got fixed before I got my digital camera!

8. MickiRig1

When I creased my mirror I did look at height of the pass thru and my mirror would clear. Didn't notice that the pavement humped up right at the pass thru as I am watching the blade on the right BAMM. More battle damage!

9. DBL

DBL PlowSite.com Addict

one of my 3 cvs's has a drive through and its pretty narrow

10. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict

GUYS.......I do a few bank drive thrus...................

Mine are only 8 ft. wide and a PIA to boot thats why I run a 7.5
    blade with Turkey Wings. The box/pusher design is ideal for this
    application ! Slides right thru and very little hand shoveling (if any).

A little pre-treating with de-icer and they are a piece of cake !

YUP....Ya have to be careful because of all the obstructions or
    else you end up needing a $pendy new mirror or having a nasty
    crunch in your paint job !
    Not to mention the bank lady boss having a FIT if you damage
    anything and getting the BIG back charge..............geo:drinkup:

11. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

You beat me to it, thats why i like my 7.5' blade and pro wings. Every drive through i have is narrow.

I also pretreat the drive throughs heavy, makes plowing them a snap. Sometimes i don't have to even plow them at all, when i pretreat them.

12. lawn king

lawn king PlowSite.com Addict

I have a 2002 tahoe lt i purchased new, last summer i smashed the right side mirror, heated,power,self darkening, bottom lighted mirror. Dealer part,$524.00

13. Emerscape

Emerscape Member

hey echovalley, im originally from New Preston CT. Perhaps you know my cousin..JCL Pro Tree.. I was back in Litchfield this past weekend for a little bit. Still miss the place.... i hate drive thrus.. my truck fits thru but its always a pain in the ass

14. MickiRig1

I plowed a credit union all last winter that had 4 drive thru lanes and an ATM. I moved the snow thru them and did a great job of clearing snow away from the whole area. The last snow the contractor I work for finally told me "They don't use the drive thru lanes. I wondered why you plowed them every time?"

15. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

I have 5 new Wendys around me.
    Not looking foward to the drive thru at all.