1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plowing Dollar General Stores

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by nicktw25, Sep 30, 2014.

1. nicktw25

nicktw25 Member
    from Woods

I was contacted by my local Dollar General store to put a bid out on 10 other stores. I can't figure out for the life of me how to post a picture on here. But if you know what a Dollar General parking lot looks like then you know what 99% of them look like.

I have been plowing residentials for the past 2 years. So I need help on pricing out commercial lots. I don't have to do sidewalks and trigger is every 3". They also might want salt prices.

ANY help would be appreciated.

2. PremierSnowPlow

PremierSnowPlow Senior Member

if you dont have a v plow dont bother

3. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Are you capable of plowing your residentials and 10 businesses?

4. nicktw25

nicktw25 Member
    from Woods

Yes I have two trucks. If I get these dollar generals one will be dedicated residential and the other will be a dollar general truck. Also all 10 of these stores are very close together so there is minimal drive time.

I've hear anywhere from $160 a lot down to $50 a lot.... Not including salt

5. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

How can ten dollar general stores be "that close" to make it efficient? Doesn't make sense to me. I know they're not built right on top of each other. And if you've only got one truck able to plow those ten stores in a heavy storm you're chit out of luck. Sounds like you're underequipped to do this job to me.

6. nicktw25

nicktw25 Member
    from Woods

They are all in a large city or in an out skirting town. Residentials don't take very long with one truck. I would have him help once he's finished. And I also highly doubt I will get 10 stores. Every store is open for bid individually, I picked the 10 closest to each other.

7. PremierSnowPlow

PremierSnowPlow Senior Member

buy another 2 trucks and then bid on them. youre under equipped right now trying to do them with 1 truck. I have 2 trucks with 50+ residential and 3 commercial, and im thinking about adding 1 or 2 more trucks

8. mark268

mark268 Member

Which National is handling Dollar this year?

9. born2farm

born2farm 2000 Club Member

Innovations In Management handles all of ours. Actually a very good National to work for.

10. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

2 trks is not enough as everyone has said.
    A) what if one brakes down, then what?
    B) what if it's close to opening time and driveway cleaning time and your behind, who gets priority?
    C) what if there's a blizzard, how long are the 2 trks gunna be out for? Again who gets priority?
    D) what if your behind on the stores and they call, who are you pulling off which route to cover?

11. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

OK, aren't these lots like maybe a half hour each for plowing?

And you think he needs 4 trucks for 10 stores and a handful of driveways?

Unless your driveways are "estate" drives, as in more than 50-60' long, you're nuts. If they're close to each other, I could have 50 drives, 50-60' long done in 2-3 hours. With a truck.

12. mark268

mark268 Member

You have to take in account drive time from one store to another. During a snow event "close" in a large city is not actually "close". Even if it's 1/2 hour work at each site, that's 5 hours plus drive time. Can it be done in one night after the snow ends? I doubt it, plus your customers will not be happy when its not clean by normal business hours.

I'm thinking logistically 10 sites is way over your head with only one truck designated to the work.

13. Mark Oomkes

And you have to figure that some of his driveways are close to the stores.

Assuming what you say is accurate (half hour away from each other) then there is no way anyone would be profitable with 3-4 trucks, either.

I've never looked that closely at them, I figure they sell cheap junk so they probably want about the same level of service. I could be wrong.

14. Defcon 5

Defcon 5 PlowSite.com Addict

What????......You do understand Snow was plowed long before the invention of the "V" plow ......

15. Mark Oomkes

I'm calling BS.

You lie, dood.

16. Defcon 5

Defcon 5 PlowSite.com Addict

I would respond in my normal manner.......But, I promised someone I would stay on the straight and narrow.......:waving:

17. Mark Oomkes

More BS. Lol

Me too.

18. extremepusher

extremepusher Senior Member
    from west mi

Stick to driveways. Your not ready for 10 right off the bat. Get one or two small commercial sites first so you know how to bid properly and know what it takes.

For the guys that think he needs all this equipment, The right driver could plow all 10 and 20 driveway and have time to have breakfast @7:30 a.m.

19. Mark Oomkes

ONLY.........if he has a V plow.

20. PLOWTRUCK

PLOWTRUCK Senior Member

How many drives do you do and how long will it take with one truck? Are any close to dollar generals? What is your trigger on drives? Here is the issue with having one truck do 10 commercial lots is they all probably open at the same time. Well say 6 am. 10 lots at 30 minutes is 5 hours plus travel time so you are looking at starting at 1 am. Not sure how the snow is in Indiana but I have seen storms start at 1 am and drop 5 inches by 6 am. In that case you may need 2 trucks on the dollar generals. A lot of variables here but I would say 2 trucks might be tight unless some of these stores are near your residentials.