1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plowing Deer, the Rudolf kind, not green and yellow

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Grn Mtn, Feb 11, 2005.

1. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

So plowing with almost 2 weeks of no snow after January's 10-15 plow-able events always signals disaster. 1st of all your aching to get back to plowing and you "feel" ready to just go at it full speed ahead, but at the same time you've lost a little of the edge from sitting around watching the weather channel for converging High and Low pressure systems. 2nd, its been so warm the ground is soft. 3rd, "dead deer in headlights" or whatever the expression is should be rephrased: Deer + Headlights + 40mph + Plow = Really disgusting vaporized mess + a desperate need of new underpants.

The night began like this: Weather man predicted 14" of a wet dream, in this case it was both, Wet and a Dream figure. So I'm on the gas pushing this wet snow at my commercial account, unfortunately for me, they had a thing going on so customers are everywhere. I have just the back row left to do and I'm stoked because its a 40' x 250' open rectangle, I get one speed pass in and an idiot parks right in the middle :gunsfiring: Then someone pulls up behind me as I'm backing up to get around the idiot :gunsfiring: :gunsfiring: So now I've made this big pile of wet snow and I'm really gassing it to get it to the end of the row (100' away). I start lifting my blade as I get to the snow bank, but its soft granular ice, so instead of me pushing the snow up and over, The Hemi Ram just slams right through and the blade mounts are now sitting on the pile. Crap this can't be good I put it in reverse and try the angle the blade to help push me out trick, but what I did not realize was I had pushed this snow pile back 20' into the lawn with the last snow storm 2 weeks ago. My Cooper M+S's grabbed the mud I was now sitting on and dug to China before I had a clue. I'm stuck, so I call my buddy...no answer? thats strange, I call another buddy and he's on his way.

Now my other buddy didn't answer because he had just got a call from another buddy who somehow got rebar stuck between his backdrag and main blade, so he's flying over to help out him when BAMMMM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! He hits the deer. He said the back end of truck lifted about 5' in the air, and thats with a salter, 700lbs of sand, and 500lbs of salt. He's okay (needs new shorts) and believe it or not, the truck is okay. Sorry to say, Humpty(the deer) could not be put back together again due to the fact that we don't have the technology to piece atomized particles.

Long post, sorry.

2. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

lol, thats a funny story and i can understand how not plowing for a while can make you rusty. :)

3. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Well, thats one way to tenderize the venison :drinkup:

4. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

Ever see a semi truck hit one or 2 at 70mph?

Not a pretty sight and hopefully you are not on the side.

Vaporize is right only thing left was/is a tail.

5. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

i'v seen quite a few semi deer collisions living in northern MN. The worst one was a semi going around 65mph ( I was right on his ass) go through a herd of sheep that was on a rural HY in Colorado at night...
    :dizzy: there was flying pieces of red wool every where :dizzy:

And a new grill& bumper for me!!!!! :realmad:

6. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

Did ya <i>sheep</i> your pant's?

7. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

Brown cotton to go with the red wool?

You could make a really ugly (not to mention smelly) sweater with that!!! :p

8. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

way to funny :D

9. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

YEA!!! we both pulled over and cleaned out sheep, shorts, what a mess... red wool sweaters were every where!!!

10. salt shaker

salt shaker Member

Wow!

Not to offend any People Eat Tasty Animals members but, THAT'S SOME FUNNY SHEEP LOL :jester:

11. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Like the guy on the blue collar comedy tour said about deer hunting it aint hard:
    You put little headlights and a horn going beep beep beep on a bullet and the deer will step into the path of the bullet!