1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plowing contract dates?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by lumps, Oct 8, 2008.

1. lumps

lumps Senior Member

I'm drawing up my contracts for the season, but need to set dates. When do you guys normally have yours go until... end of March, middle of April, end of April? Thanks!

2. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

Nov 1 thru April 15th is my most common contract.

3. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

I do Nov. 1st to April 30th

4. bluerage94

bluerage94 Senior Member

Nov 01 to April 01..........

5. lumps

lumps Senior Member

One of each... I should've made this a poll, haha.

6. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Nov.1st-Apr.30th

7. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

Just remember you need to be ready to plow "YOUR" contracts no matter what the date is ! If you think some contract date excludes you from plowing when you get a freak storm you will be sadly mistaken. A competitor will be happy to plow your site on April 16th, after you notify your customer your done for the season, and there on there own.
    Our seasonals go from Nov.1st threw April 30th. I have personally plowed after April 9th here more then once.

8. grandview

This reminds me of a storm in Oct of 06 and I went and plowed all my contracts even if they didn't send them it.

9. Sno4U

Sno4U Senior Member

You all know the old saying, "take care of your customers, or someone else will". Many times I write for the entire 20**-** snow fall season. These are per push accts. If its a seasonal then U write an amount of time as your base and then add(if u want) after a certain normal time so u get paid for those freak storms.

10. grandview

24 hours a day ,7 days a week,no job is to small and no fee is to big!

11. dunlaps lawncare

dunlaps lawncare Senior Member

nov1 till april 1

12. EIB

EIB Senior Member

Nov.1 to April 15, before or after that it's extra payup

13. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

my contract states from nov1st to may1st

14. Vaughn Schultz

Vaughn Schultz PlowSite.com Addict

Mine starts that very second they sign it and it never ends, never. At that very moment I own them and I will continue to plow/bill them till I decide I have had enough. Some times I send plowing invoices out in July just because I can. They have 2 days to pay or I will have their cars crushed and melted. In some cases I will even have the first born child taken from the house until payment is made. Even then their is no guaranty the child will not be sold to grandview for a few bucks and a cold beer.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2008
  15. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

My situation may not apply to you at all, but here goes. I don't use contracts, it's all "gentleman's agreement". Actually, all my seasonals and most of the per push is all by email. In six years, one guy I've only met once and that was by accident last winter when he stayed home during a major storm. Even most billing is by email. Anyway, I let them know a week ago what the rate would be and said it'd be for the winter. By that, I mean between now and next summer. For me, the only iffy month is April - and maybe late March. If it does snow enough to plow, they usually don't want it plowed anyway. Under the snow is gravel/hard pack which the truck just makes ruts. So, I'd say (especially starting out), don't be too concerned about contract time frames. Take care of your customers. If a couple plowings more than you counted on is going to make or break you, you're in the wrong line of work.

16. Ipushsnow

Ipushsnow Senior Member

One year from the date they sign, renews automatically unless they notify me in writing. If prices change I send them a letter saying these are our rates for this year, if you want to cancel then notify us in writing.

This format works well because people are basically lazy and they would rather just accept it and do nothing then write a letter terminating their contract and then go through the process of getting bids from other companies. I sent out letters this year with the big salt increase and have had no cancellations......yet.