1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plowing commercially as a sub-contractor.

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Going Commercial, Oct 27, 2008.

1. Going Commercial

Going Commercial Member

I was asked to plow commercial lots as a sub-contractor using my own equipment. I have not put a plow on my own truck ( 2005 chevy hd ) at this point. I was offered $35 per hour plus a gas allowance that was $3 per hour additional if I understood it correctly. The owner said his contracts are all at 2 inch triggers and each truck out gets 8-10 hrs of work per time. He said he knows he pays less than most other guys. What is the going rate of pay for a sub-contractor using a pickup truck? Our area gets an average of 100 inches of snow per year.
  2. Ipushsnow

Ipushsnow Senior Member

Around here its $65-$85 per hour depending equipment and experience. But we get about half the snow you do. There are a lot of guys from your region on here, they should be able to give you a pretty good idea. That number sounds way low to me though.
  3. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

at $35 an hour you will lose money...... you will have to work 120 hours just to try to breka even o the plow.... not including wear and tear..... broken parts... etc....
  4. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

If you spent 4,400 for a plow installed it would take 126 hours at 35@hr to pay for the plow

That allows nothing for your time, deprecation on the truck, service for the plow, service for the truck, etc.
  5. Going Commercial

Going Commercial Member

I told him I could not do it for that amount of money. I plow for someone now that does residential only, using his trucks and gas for $20.00 per hr.
  6. ducatirider944

ducatirider944 Senior Member
    from Iowa

I would stay in bed and sleep for $35+3 an hour. I figure $15 per hour for fuel and maintenance, another $15 per hour to equipment costs, you still need to figure insurance costs, To me it looks like he is willing to pay you his costs and that is about it.
  7. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

I believe thats low in this market (upstate NY). I start subs @ 45 some get 65. Depends how long they been with me, how fast they are, how dependable, etc.
  8. exmark1

exmark1 PlowSite.com Addict

We pay $50.00 per hour for subs when we need them
  9. purpleranger519

purpleranger519 Senior Member
    from Kansas

$75 - $85 an hour here using their own equipment. Drivers I pay $25-$30 an hour if they are already on payroll, they get their normal pay and a snowpay check.
  10. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

if you get your own plow at those rats your better off getting your own accounts.

If you just want to go plowing then ask for a raise to at least $32hr to drive his truck his insurance and you get a w2

If you set your business up for plowing get the proper liabelity Insurance so your covered for snow plowing and you still want to be a sub, then get a minn of $50 to start if you can show that you know how to plow.
  11. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Most companies pay 15 maybe 20 an hr using their trucks.
  12. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

I have found that when you only offer $15 an hr for a guy that is on call 24/7 you go through a lot of employees as they tend to find other work. Or they just stay home and
    watch Jerry Springer.

At $20 hopefully they don't show up drunk...:drinkup::drinkup:
  13. Danscapes

Danscapes Senior Member

I was offered $75 an hour to sub and another $10 more on the hour if I had a v-plow. The guy told me if I wanted cash in hand within 24 hours he would take off 6%. Is this a good deal? I currently don't have a v-plow.
  14. ducatirider944

ducatirider944 Senior Member
    from Iowa

$85 with a v-plow? In my area people would be lining up at the door with 2 trucks or 3
  15. erkoehler

erkoehler PlowSite Veteran

I'd be all over that!
  16. Danscapes

Danscapes Senior Member

Did you guys miss the fact that I don't currently have a V? LOL. If I spend the 5 grand or so and it doesn't snow then what?
  17. 042500hd

042500hd Senior Member

If he knows he's low why doesn't he correct it. I'd be curious who is soliciting you. At that rate I have a good idea. If you haven't bought your plow yet work out a deal where he buys it and you plow at a lower rate to offset your overhead. If you buy the plow let's just say at $4k you'll be doing a lot of plowing to break even. Just my $.02. You should be in the $50-$60 per hour range in our area with your own truck.
  18. Going Commercial

Going Commercial Member

Thanks guys for all the responses. I will probably stay with the guy who gives me $20 per hr for this year, using his trucks and fuel.
  19. snowandgo

snowandgo Senior Member

I think $50 an hour is a low number in this market. I'd say most guys are getting $60-75. I pay my sub$60 and give him some benefits like helping him fix his truck and plow or buying him a tire when he slashed one on an obstacle he already knew was there. I started as a sub 11 years ago making $50. When the blizzrd 810 came out, the same company paid a guy $80 an hour for it.
  20. purpleranger519

purpleranger519 Senior Member
    from Kansas

Exactly!!!! You gotta pay for good reliable help. You don't they may just pull the covers back over their head and go back to sleep when you call.