1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plowing clean up sucks!!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by IPLOWSNO, Jan 20, 2014.

1. IPLOWSNO

IPLOWSNO PlowSite.com Addict

Plowing Budweiser this year, to say dismal year is crazy, so far maybe 20 hours is all I have,

I'm on nights , they never said 5 pm to 5 am lol kind of miss out on dinner when they call at 4 to let you know your plowing!!

First night it snowed all night, last night was clean up, by clean up I mean ride around in a loader and scrape pavement, literally wait for cars too move and then clean that up,

We had it clean by 9 when the guy says we will be here till 3, doing what? I'm all about the work but to drive around pretending too work is not for me.

Seeing they pay for the salt , you would think he would slow down a little to actually salt the lot the first time!!

The best part is I seen an ad where the shovelers get paid more than the loader operators!!!!

I told him I want to be a shoveler !!!

He says I'm his best operator and no I'm an operator , I said they get paid more in a shoveler!!!

His answer was if I could pay you more I would but it's not my call, well don't tell the powers that be!!!!

Around here plowing isn't much of a living anymore, it's more of a lose sleep and food waiting for when and if your gonna plow!!

I come home and plow deeper snow with my 4 wheeler that's pretty sad!!!

2. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Why not just quit?

3. Snoviper

Snoviper Senior Member

I used to work on a rail crew (Contractor) at Anheuser-Busch (Budweiser), we'd spend all night cleaning the frogs, switches and rail crossings. During the day we would just hang out wander around and just keep cleaning everything out over and over. We would take ice picks and clean out the rail flange ways at the crossings. Could be boring at times just looking for work to bill hours. This was years ago, can't remember how much we got paid maybe 5.00/hr. if that. We also worked up at the old Miller brewery in Fulton when it was open. During heavy snow we would work all night and day.

4. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

Shovelers make more than operators? That didn't make sense until I saw where you're located !

5. IPLOWSNO

I'm one of those guys who, when they give their word they stick too it unfortunately,

I started in miller back when it was open when it actually snowed!!! What was I thinking I should of went inside and got a job but running a loader was so much better of a job than watching cans whizz by , oh god what was I thinking lol,

Yea it's cold for the shovelers but I've never seen the push away more than a couple inches yet !! And they dont go very far with it either lol,

I was gonna go into a pick up this year , but the route was 3 hours so I pretty much said that isn't worth getting up for,

Good call on that because I'd be lucky to have 6 hours!!!

The biggest problem is they don't give a heads up for plowing, I'm farther away so it's snows a lot at my house and barely there , lake effect is weird!!

I took my kid back to college , got home was pretty beat , snuggled into gta5 mode and get called at 9 to plow ASAP

We actually got snow too push this time he said, I told him how I felt about clean up lol,

I get there and salt would of melted it lol.

I drive the 20' pusher because I have the biggest place with all the trucks coming in and out.

Air brakes are froze, ok jump in that little bastid and do what you can, it won't start lol

In the meantime it's 8 degrees and the loader are cold as hell, an hour later they actually warm up and then I have to switch loaders!

At midnight it was clear. It drove around till 3 looking at wet pavement, right at 3 the cheesy little c clip that holds the pusher to the loader bolt backs out and drops the blade on the ground,

So I ended my night fighting a blade back on in the cold dark lol

Last year I sold mt sled that's how bad the snow has gotten, so this will be my last year plowing it as well, if I can't play in it I'm sure as hell not gonna work in it,

Sorry about bitching guys but dam I'm sick of people saying one thing and doing another lol

6. Perry.

Perry. Member

Any pics of the 20' pusher
    would love to see that

7. IPLOWSNO

Yea but I can't post pics from my phone for some reason, works great on other forums but this one!!

It's on a big cat, and easily the most powerful loader I've been in too date,

Jumped in the little one at first felt like a bobcat too me, the 20' only feels big when your going between trailers lol

She cleans up a lot of real east ate quickly though