1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plowing Circles/ Courts with 9'6 V plow?

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by BigBoyPlowin, Feb 24, 2013.

1. BigBoyPlowin

BigBoyPlowin Senior Member

Does anyone know any good tips or pointers that could assit me in getting a cleaner cul-de-sac street? Right now we plow a few subdivisions and the biggest complaint is, "I have too much snow at the end of my drive (Which i could care less about) and there is only one clear lane around the circle."

For some reason I can only clear the outer "Lane" around the Circle. SEE Pic Below.

The Red Arrows outline the problematic area where the truck just drives over the snow rather than plowing it.

The blue arrows just demonstrate how the 1st push is in /\ Then we pile it on the cul-de-sac.

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Do you do the drives too?
  3. alldayrj

alldayrj PlowSite.com Addict

What truck is the plow on? I would v through, one pass angled right, and one angled left
  4. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

I would plow from the center out.You only have 2 driveways there.
  5. BigBoyPlowin

we have 10 circles that we do like this one per storm, so no we don't plow All of the drives. Alldayrj Thats exactly what we do. V, Right, Left... Except around the Circle where we plow Outward toward the Drives.
    Currently its on a 4500

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

a expandable ebling back blade is the way I would do it. Not even drop the front plow. Drop the back blade, open the pass. side wing all the way, open the dr. side just a little bit then go to town. Once the inside is done close the dr. side wing then close the pass. side just a little bit then start going around it. I'd have it done in 2-3 passes depending on the width of the circle.
  7. road2damascus

road2damascus PlowSite.com Addict

I do not have a v plow so my suggestion will only be from a straight blade point of view.

I have a very large driveway with a fountain in the middle of it. It is identical to your culdesac. I had the same problem as you. The inside of the circle always packed down.

I now plow the straight away, your blue lines, first. Starting counter clockwise, I then do the outside of circle and then stop a third of the way. For you that would be right before the driveway. I then back up and go on the inside of the circle, your red line, straight at the pile i just made before the driveway and push it up on the parkway. I continue to do this all the way around. Then clean it up a little. Its takes more time but i am not packing snow down on the inside of the circle as much.
  8. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Plow the in opposite direction
  9. framer1901

framer1901 Senior Member

The only way to get the snow on an inner radius of any curve is with a back blade, expandable is better but any back blade will work.

Drag the inner radius out, then work on the outer radius if there are driveways off of it, if not start from outside to inside. Don't angle the front blade outward or you'll bury the driveways, you'll bury them enough as it is with the blade angled towards the center.

Crazy Ryan has the bestest method above - Ryan you still have your sanity after the last 30 days?
  10. affekonig

affekonig Senior Member

I've been doing courts like that for 14 years and have a really good technique. Plow the stem into the island, then go to the back of the bulb and start on the curb side with the blade angled away from the driveways. Start in the middle and plow half of the bulb around to the front, then push the other half the other way around to the font. Then go back to the stem and push the piles into the island. It works most of the time, but minor adjustments can be made depending on the court. I've found that I get done much faster using a jeep with a 7' straight blade than I did with an 8'. A V would make it so easy!
  11. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

Either a back blade or a small Jeep with an angle blade are the only 2 ways to get to the inside radius of a small diameter cul-de-sac.
  12. road2damascus

road2damascus PlowSite.com Addict

That is my other way of handling it. I got a jeep with a front and back blade. Makes quick work of anything circular.
  13. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

Just keep your blade straight across angled in to the left, the natural momentum of the curve in the circle will carry it across the blade and to the outside. This is how I do all my circles. You'll cover more lane too
  14. BigBoyPlowin

Thanks everyone... We have a storm coming tomorrow I can't wait to try all these and let you know how I do.
  15. BigBoyPlowin

Tested everything you all said and yes they all helped especially going clockwise with the blade angle towards the circle. But nothing was perfect, which leads me to believe that its the trucs length. Because we tried the same techniques with a Boss Straight blade on our 2500 and it worked alot better. So i guess one of the smalled trucks are gonna have to follow behind and do all the culdesacs!