1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plowing & Chain Saw Size

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by dmjr77, Feb 25, 2005.

1. dmjr77

dmjr77 Senior Member

Hello! After the storm on 02/10/2005 and having to drive through braches and trees and I looking to update my chain saw. I currently have a 25 year old homelite with a 18" bar (which still runs, but takes some effort to get started) Do any one you carry a chain saw while plowing? What size would be best for me since I have alot of driveways that are located on very rural back roads?
    Thank You
  2. dag-otto

dag-otto Member

18inch should be more than enough. Most arborists and loggers around our area use 18 or 21 inch blades to fell trees and to buck. I also run a tree service in the summer months and Stihl saws have never let me down, plenty of dealers for parts and they start well in the cold, you can even get heated hand grips :)

3. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

While I'm not quite THAT rural- I have only come across 1 downed tree in a snow storm, and the city had already been there. If there's a tree so big I can't pull it off the road with my chains I go around.
    Is this really a problem for many? :eek:
  4. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

That's an issue that comes up for me every time there's a wet/heavy snow. I get a lot of tree branches bowing into driveways and roads. Usually I can drive under them, pushing them up over the truck as I go. I've only come across a couple that were completely down and blocking my path. In that case, I call the homeowner. I DO NOT cut the tree. The reason being, the homeowner may want to salvage as much as possible, either to sell to a mill or to cut for their own use. Proper cutting is crucial to maximize its worth. If you are cutting a branch from a live tree, you are also damaging that tree with the result of it being worth less (unless you know what you're doing, such as delimbing White Pine to increase knot-free lumber).

Always contact the homeowner before cutting a tree.

As far as recommending a saw, if it's only for this purpose, I'd get as light of a saw as possible with a 16" bar. If you carry a generator, you might want to get an electric one since chain saws are notoriously difficult to start when cold. Personally, I use a Husquavarna 371XP, which would be kind of overkill for your purpose. But it'd do the job. I think you could pick up a good used 50-60cc model for around $100.
  5. Turfmower

Turfmower Senior Member

I have 3 Stihls and I love them one is 22 years old and still runs strong.
  6. PSDF350

PSDF350 Senior Member

one night when i was coming home from a friends house (about 2am). just cruising up this road enjoying the blizzard outside. when i come across a tree in road. cant go around or move so i just turn around and head back from where i came, and not a hundred yards theres another tree blocking road. luck and a strong back was on my side and i was able to move it just enough to get around. shudder to think if the second one came down 1 minute earlier.
    as for a saw to take with you if you feel it necessary my strongest recommendation would be the husky 346xp. i have one and it is sweet.
  7. motorider000

motorider000 Senior Member

Any saw 16" saw will work as long as its a stihl. And for cold weather i prefer the electric start model, thats the one that your dealer hides in the back room. Just go ask him about the new electric start model and he will bring it out for you................he he he.