1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plowing before school

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Farmall Teen, Aug 29, 2005.

1. Farmall Teen

Farmall Teen Junior Member

Could a 16 year old start a plowing to make some money before school during the winter. I am thinking about starting small and then going for the bid time. Would it be a good idea to plow snow before school, or would I kill my

Farmall Teen

P.S, I forgot to tell you, I live in the country with some neibhors. Maybe 3 of them I could plow.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2005
  2. Vaughn Schultz

Vaughn Schultz PlowSite.com Addict

Howdy,

Residential could be done fairly easily, commercial is going to be hard (but there is allways a way ;) )

I did residential for 3 years in high school because when it comes down to it you can plow all night, all morning and all evening. Just not during the day, when most people are at work anyways. So get up early and get the drives done be for they go to work and when you get out at 2:30 jump on the ASAP be for they get home. Just get on good personal terms with your clients and they will understand that you are in school or they will find someone ells.

Take it easy,
    - Eric

3. Chris-R

Chris-R Senior Member

I also plowed while I was in high school and college. I plowed before and after school. It worked great as my residential customers were all at work while I was at school. Also, whenever there was a big storm, school would be cancelled so I could plow all day and pick up driveways from people who were too tired to shovel their own. I'll never forget the time I was finally on my way home after plowing about 9 straight hours in a big storm in 1978. Some guy waved me down and asked me to plow his apartment house driveway. It seems his regular plow guy broke down and didn't have a backup. The guy had been out there trying to shovel for hours and looked like he was about to die of a heart attack. I was sooo tired and wanted to go home so I tripled the price that I would usually charge hoping he would tell me to forget it. Instead, the guy pulled out a big wad of $$$ and paid me without a groan. He was just happy to get it done. In other words, go for it!

4. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

The answer to your question is - Will those three neighbors pay you to plow for them?

5. PremierLand

PremierLand PlowSite.com Addict
    from detroit

lastyear I had about 25 people I snowblew for. This year I have a plow, and more accounts, and currently seeking another truck. Its very possible, I did it before school and after if need be. I also had to "call in sick" 1st and 2nd hour about 15 times. Well worth it though, and my 1 and 2nd hour teachers knew I was working and didnt mind, and I got work from all my teachers, lol.

so yes it is possible, just make sure you make enough money so its worth your while, and not to fall behind in school.

I start school next tuesday (senior), and im not worried about this winter, If I dont finish my stuff between 4am-8am then my bro will do the rest, and I get out at 11:40am every day to work anyway, so when I get out of school I can take him off the clock. I cant wait for school to start back up! Its going to be a fun year, and nothing to gain but more work from teachers at my school. lol.

"Its all about who you know, not what you know"

Last edited: Aug 30, 2005
  6. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

Did it in middle and high school. Now college. Started out with a JD garden tractor. Just get up early and get them done before school.

7. Farmall Teen

Farmall Teen Junior Member

How did you all convice your parnets to let you? I sort of brought this up and they did not seem to exceited. What did you all do?

Farmall Teen

8. PremierLand

from detroit

my dad didnt mind as long as school grades didnt go down. He doesnt know about me missing 15 days of 1 and 2nd hour, he'd be pist, but my mom does, she called me in. shes proud of me and the first 2 hours are blowoffs anyway so it didnt matter, plus I do work for the teachers so they didnt mind.

once you get clients, your parents will start to see the real aspect of the business and hopefully encourage you.

9. OhioPlower

OhioPlower Senior Member

I plowed alot before school last year as a sub-contractor. I would go in to school about 2 hours late. I would get out at 10:30 and go plow some of my residentials and commercial lots before they opened up. If the contractor I was working for kept sending me to other lots I would just call off school. This year I only go to school for an hour and a half so thats gonna be better than last year.

10. Mowerpan

Mowerpan Senior Member

I'm going to be doing this too this winter but won't have near as many as Premier has. Maybe 4-5 and my dad's buisness. It will be easy for me as I'm a senior also and i get off of school at 12:30 to work and get home at 6 so I could go to bed early to wake up early and plow.

11. JET enterprises

JET enterprises Senior Member

i just started my own plowing you could say company hahah im a junior.. i was just reading everyones post and was wondering where u guys live to get out at 1230 or have like an hour n half of school as seniors

12. PremierLand

from detroit

grosse pointe michigan. 11:40 everyday. but i can miss first and second hour also if need be... git r dun!

13. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

My first vehicle I owned was an '86 F250 with an 8' Fisher. 40K original miles and no rot for $3500. I didnt get any permission to do it, I bought it with my money and why let it go to waste. I plowed my junior and senior year, worked just fine. You can do it. Just plan on gettin up early.