1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plowing ATV Choice Question??

Discussion in 'ATV / UTV Snow Removal' started by Sportsman500??, Dec 31, 2009.

1. Sportsman500??

Sportsman500?? Member
    from PA

Hi. I know that I could most likely use the search tool for this, but I just want an answer. Would an 05 Polaris Sportsman 400 HO 4x4 plow snow well? Here are some things for you to know:

1) I live in Northern PA where we get a lot of snow some seasons.
    2) The driveways are hilly and some are gravel.
    3) I plow from say 2" to up to 12" if I do multiple plowing trips during a big storm.
    4) I need the machine to be able to stack well.

Thanks and I am going to look at it on Sunday.

2. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH PlowSite.com Addict
    from pa

I would think it will be fine.

3. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

I also think it would work fine. If you get it, a 60" plow would be the best choise IMO.

4. BruteForce750

BruteForce750 Senior Member
    from MA

You'll be fine, especially where Polaris's seem to weight slightly more than their counterparts. If your not worried about sidewalk width, I'd also say go 60" for the blade pushing shouldn't be an issue as long as you don't let it build up to a ridiculous amount.

5. Dave T

Dave T Senior Member
    from NE PA

The only place you might run into trouble is if you have to plow "UP" some of those hills. A machine with more "umph" might help you there.

Where are you located... Potter, Tioga county?

6. Sportsman500??

Sportsman500?? Member
    from PA

Thanks guys. I live in one of the highest elevations of Pike County.

7. Steve G.

Steve G. Senior Member

It should be fine, I think you'd lose traction before power;)

8. Sportsman500??

Sportsman500?? Member
    from PA

You think id lose traction?

9. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH PlowSite.com Addict
    from pa

It's not like your going to just sit there and spin. There might be times when you'll find yourself with too much snow to push if you let it build up and you'll be pushing the 4wheeler to the point of spinning. I know I do at times. I blasted 2ft of snow with my Grizzly and it went right through it. Of course I had to go over it a few times since the snow was coming over the rack on the front. Always try to keep your momentum when your pushing snow.

10. Sportsman500??

Sportsman500?? Member
    from PA

Its better than a 21 hp, 2wd lawn tractor with snow blade though? Btw, pics are up in the Equipment pictures forum.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2010
  11. Sportsman500??

Sportsman500?? Member
    from PA

Ok heres the pic. IMG_0012.JPG. What kind of plow also? The quick attach or the midmount? What size plow?