1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

plowing at night vs plowing during the day

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by ajslands, Aug 2, 2010.

1. ajslands

ajslands 2000 Club Member

are their any pros to plowing during the day besides you can see more?

2. nycpsd

nycpsd Junior Member
    from nyc/pa

Con to plowing in the day is people can't drive in the snow and make it a pain to plow sometime you just have to go back later

3. ajslands

And those pita ppl that park right in front of where your about to make a pass?

4. nycpsd

nycpsd Junior Member
    from nyc/pa

I just plow the snow up to their door so they can't open it

5. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Plowing at night is much better because all traffic laws are suspended between midnight and 6am.Besides most places are closed and since when do you need to see were you are plowing?

6. bhmjwp

bhmjwp Senior Member
    from kcmo

If only we could plan when it snows! I add about 25-33% time to my routes during daytime plowing. Chance of accidents and mishaps goes up. Daytime is for re-runs to clear parking spots and to clean up entrances!

7. ajslands

Oh ya that's right! Stops signs go in after midnight!

8. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale 2000 Club Member

10-4 GV.....:laughing::laughing:

9. Pristine PM ltd

Pristine PM ltd PlowSite Veteran

We use less salt during the day. Sun and traffic save alot of money. That's for condo's. We have a few retail plaza's, and you don't want to go near them during the day.

10. quigleysiding

quigleysiding PlowSite.com Addict

I thought that as soon as I turned on the yellow lights it made the stop signs hide.You get more entertainment during the day.

11. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

I'll plow at night any time.........less morons on the road, but the ones out are ussualy real winners. Lots tend to be much more empty and returns to clean up are less. I used to plow a 24hr WalMart, holy crap you've never seen such idiots, people in camaros and mustangs out in 5-6 inches of snow, all to get a gallon of milk or a bottle of soda..........unreal!

12. ajslands

what the heck is soda? You mean pop!?!??!! :laughing:

13. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Guys from the other half of NY always say soda.

14. KJ Cramer

KJ Cramer Senior Member

I'd vote for night plowing, just less people to cause things to go wrong. As for traffic laws, I thought as soon as I start my route I was exempt from all traffic laws.

15. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

traffic laws?!?! What are those? I love plowing at night, put the radio on, chew on beef jerky, climb in the loader, and push snow, and everyone leaves me alone.

16. Pristine PM ltd

Pristine PM ltd PlowSite Veteran

17. ajslands

Well according to the county plow truckers; that amber light on top allows them to go through red lights.

18. sno commander

sno commander PlowSite.com Addict
    from ct

id rather plow at night too, easier to see cars coming when backing out in the street but the one problem is that at night condos are always full of cars so i have to go back during the day when there all gone.

19. erkoehler

erkoehler PlowSite Veteran

Daytime plowing means sites want service more often. As far as a stress level, night time plowing is easier.

Either way any plowing is better than no plowing!

20. KBTConst

KBTConst Senior Member

Night time hands down there's never people when you are backing up that thinks ( I can make it before he get here) their pop is more important than the accident that they might cause.