1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plowing as a sub

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by killed300ex, Mar 7, 2005.

1. killed300ex

killed300ex Senior Member

next year I am thinking of picking up a couple more accounts from a local buisness. I have a couple of questions to people who do this during the season. First do you have to have insurance on your truck for plowing or will the people you are subing for put you on their policy. Also how much should i ask to get paid per hour. I have never done any of this so its new to me and i am looking to know what i am getting into before hand so any hints would be great thanks
  2. jeffw

jeffw Senior Member

you need insurance on your truck. even if your a sub if you get hit you need to protect your equipment. if you hit something going to the lot your contractor will not be responcible for that. you may not need G&L that should be covered by the contractor, ask to be sure. you may also be resoponcible for anything you hit while working for the contractor. you ahve to discuss all this stuff first and get it written so you are on the same page if something does go wrong.

3. DJ Contracting

DJ Contracting PlowSite.com Addict

I Hire subs that have General Liability cause my insurance won't cover any damage they do, also in a slip and fall lot that they plow it goes back on their insurance, just to be safe get insurance.
  4. killed300ex

killed300ex Senior Member

ok sounds good was just wondering when you say general liability what exactly does that mean. Also how much should i expect to pay for it for a given year? The truck will wont carry a full coverage insurance policy only liability is that the same as you are talking about or do you have to add in that you plow with it and they tag in extra $. Sorry for so many questions i just want to make sure that it is going to be profitable for me before i go and sign on for a year. Thanks Again
  5. DJ Contracting

DJ Contracting PlowSite.com Addict

Check with your insurance agent mine told me that if i don't advertise on my truck that the general liability on my truck would cover any damages or the possible slip and fall. Now i have a 1,000,000.00 coverage on my general. but make sure check with your agent.
  6. SatZ28

SatZ28 Member

How is that? If there are any slips/falls or damage, wouldn't your customer would go after you 1st, and the sub 2nd? After all they hired/signed a contract with you, not the subcontractor.
  7. Tscape

Tscape Senior Member

I subcontract for a multi million dollar company, and I am a one man show. That company required me to add them to my policy at a cost of $250. Don't be surprised.