1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plowing as a sub for monthly rate?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by NW Snow Removal, Dec 29, 2009.

1. NW Snow Removal

NW Snow Removal Senior Member

One of our competitors is now paying drivers monthly to plow instead of hourly or per lot. I guess this is how they got our local walmart. Their drivers get 3 k per month and have to plow or salt whenever they are called with no restrictions on length of shift just a property list they are responsible for clearing. I am getting calls daily from their drivers begging for work as they are now basically hired snow slaves. I can't believe a sub would accept monthly payments and subject themselves to working for such long hours. I guess 12k per winter is a lot to some people but the hours add up here in chicago and our guys regularly work 150+ hours per season so I would feel terrible paying them only 12k for that much work. some of our subs have already made upwards of 6k this winter. top 10 snowiest december in 125 years. What do you guys think of this method?

Last edited: Dec 29, 2009
  2. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

I bet the guys in the southern states would love it.
    Last year we worked our a88 off in Dec and got very little snow till Feb so it would have worked out well for me.

3. tinffx

tinffx Member

I would do it but would probably want more than that. its the same as having seasonal contracts really. Not a bad idea.

4. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

My subs get paid seasonaly. They complain a little on a bad winter but they don't give me a refund on a light winter. Most people love the regular income. Personally I think 12k for a pickup guaranteed in a normal Chicago winter is fair. JMO

5. NW Snow Removal

if this method is acceptable I may start bidding seasonal jobs a bit more aggressively. We usually will not take a customer seasonally without a cap on snow(unless they go with our first price, which accounts for a very heavy winter).

6. AiRhed

AiRhed Senior Member

Please no.....

7. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

How many times and snowfall for the season is it?

8. NW Snow Removal

about 20 plows and 40 saltings.

9. grandview

So according to your figures ,it works out to 80 an hour they are making.

10. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Just because a sub is seasonal doesn't mean you can take advantage of the situation. They know what there plowing when they sign up for it. If I take the 10 year avg seasonals are way ahead of the game. Plus they have money to make the monthlies all winter.

11. NW Snow Removal

how long are you assuming their shift are? Because I know this guy is packing 6-8 hour plowing shifts and 3-4 hour salting shifts. so they will be working roughly 260 hours and getting 12k. about 46/hour. and they have to pay a shoveler to ride on the plowing shifts for the sidewalks. edit>>my guys get 4-5 hour plowing routes and 2 hour salting routes.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2009
  12. grandview

They pay for the shoveler? I think you should if you want stuff shoveled.

13. Arloslawn

Arloslawn Member
    from Indiana

I definetly wouldnt mind, the only issue would be salt. Do the guys pay for their own salt or is the company providing it for them.

14. NW Snow Removal

the salt is provided , but yes they have to take a shovel guy. edit>> I hate the idea personally. I like to pay per occurrence so then everything is precise.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2009
  15. grandview

Side note. They all have their own insurance ,

16. NW Snow Removal

yes workers comp and general liability. so now you're starting to see how bad for drivers this practice is.

17. grandview

Well if your a sub you should have it either way.

18. Pristine PM ltd

Pristine PM ltd PlowSite Veteran

We have 7 companies and 9 trucks with this method. Some of them may only have 1 property with us, some have 6 or 10. Some are salt included, some buy salt on our account, some charge us per salting. It works very well for us. We are not greedy and have most of these properties 12-36 months. We try and make a bit during the winter on them and make up for the subbing in the summer.

I believe it to be quite fair and a lot less stress. I know many guys who use brokers, but I am fairly sure that with our normally not terrible winters, they do better with this method. For us it is also a budgeting thing. There is less risk.