1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plowing as a GC

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by mrplowpa, Jan 29, 2014.

1. mrplowpa

mrplowpa Junior Member
    from pa

Hi all...

So I am a general remodeling contractor and I found someone this year loping for plow subs and hooked up with him. Since i didn't have experience with commercial accts and didn't want to do Resi, it has been great making some hourly money plowing for him when needed.

My question is, how do those of you who are contractors deal with the current jobs you are doing when it snows? Some of these storms lately have snuck up on me and I feel bad ditching my current project for a day to plow. I am mainly a one man operation so sending someone else isn't really an option.

What do you guys do?
  2. maxwellp

maxwellp PlowSite.com Addict

I am the same, I will tell the owner of the "other job" that if it snows I will not be there. They know this up front and are ok with it or I will not take the job.
  3. 04trd

04trd Senior Member

What's your bread and butter job? Can't really ditch the hand that feeds you lol plow with the guy when ever you are able too. Than work for your main company and plow part time or when ever your main job doesn't need you. That's what I do and it works out great. Just tell the guy you plow for that you have a full time job and that comes first
  4. mrplowpa

mrplowpa Junior Member
    from pa

I hear you... Main job is my contracting company. Just me so jobs are mainly just remodels and I try to keep them smaller this time of year. Plowing $$ is just too good though! I guess I just need to get better at telling the customers up front. I offered my last customer free plowing if it snowed and that seemed to make them happy!