1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plowing artificial turf. OMG

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by jeepherder, Apr 10, 2009.

1. jeepherder

jeepherder Junior Member

We are a school district at high altitude installing an artificial turf field for football.
    Any thoughts on snow removal? We are going to have to do a huge amount of this.
    I'm intrested in as many ideas as possible.
    Thanks.
    Greg

2. sparky8370

sparky8370 Senior Member

You could tarp it before it snows, I believe that's what the sox do. And then they sprinkle black dirt on it so it attracts the sun and melts the snow.

3. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

plow1221 (Small).jpg

4. metallihockey88

metallihockey88 PlowSite.com Addict

i would think a plow with a rubber edge would do fine. maybe a 7.5 to keep the weight pressing down to a minimum also.

5. salopez

salopez Senior Member

what about a sweeperbroom on loader?

6. keitha

keitha Senior Member

What does the manufacturer say, esp. regards to warranty?

Keith

7. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

BINGO ..... BEFORE you buy this need product have them put into the contract how to clear it of snow and that it will be fully 100% warrantied.

8. jeepherder

jeepherder Junior Member

Thanks for the ideas!
    The manufacturers say dont put anything heavier than a pickup on it.
    We use PVC pipe with a kerf ripped in it lengthwise to snap onto our blades to protect our natural field now. The pvc gets brittle and doesnt last very long. The new turf is set to be installed this summer and its way expensive to repair.
    The problem is, we get a Lot of snow and its going to be tuff to pay for the man hours to plow every 2-3 inches. Im worried about tires ripping it up with deeper snow.
    Thanks for the replies.
    Greg

9. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

A blower on a tractor.

10. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

I like hydros idea, just put a rubber edge on the blower, and keep the tractor as small as possible.

11. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

Heat the turf w hot water pipes from underneath and have good drainage.

12. MattyK

MattyK Senior Member
    from Boston

a teacher i know who just moved to jackson hole in wyoming said that their school uses tractor mounted snowblowers.

13. fordzilla1155

fordzilla1155 Senior Member

200 mexicans with brooms

14. keitha

keitha Senior Member

Ah turf, gotta have it to keep up with the joneses.
    Until it comes time to "pay" the piper.
    Good luck explaining all the EXTRAS to your board.
    Keith

15. KGRlandscapeing

KGRlandscapeing 2000 Club Member

If this turf isnt installd yet heat it with water from underneath inital investment will be alittle higher but will save u in the long run.

16. IMAGE

IMAGE Sponsor

Nice town. I like going there :salute:

I would also talk to the installer, and find out what method you can use that they will warrenty, and get it in writing.

17. pelt35

pelt35 Senior Member

artificial turf

solar heat and wind turbine to pump the hot water thru system, Football season must end around Dec.? Then shut it down. Talk to the folks at Lambeau Field, Green Bay. They heat the whole field during season.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2009