1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

plowing around light poles

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by gc3, Feb 3, 2013.

1. gc3

gc3 Senior Member

On the lots I plow I have around 20 light poles to plow around. I usually go in a row and angle the snow away from them, then turn around and do the opposite side. Then I do the other 2 sides in the same way. My issue is when I go by the poles the plow blade throws snow (crumbs) back onto the area that I just plowed in a previous pass causing more cleanup later. Is this normal? What are some of your guys techniques that you found to be efficient when plowing around light poles without scattering snow everywhere. Thanks
  2. beanz27

beanz27 Senior Member

Only way I have seen to get around that is wings and slow down.
  3. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Don't worry about it. If someone parks that close they won't be able to get out of the car.
  4. gc3

gc3 Senior Member

Yea I'm getting a set of wings this week but didn't know if it would help with snow spilling around the leading edge of a pass
  5. geer hed

geer hed Senior Member

If your getting snow comming off the lead side of your plow your trying to push more than the plow can move. In this case you have one of two optoins, instead of trying to take a full blade width only take 3/4 or 1/2 a blade width. Your other option is just keep going then go back and plow it again to get rid of the wind rows. Some times with a lot of snow you find that you don't have a choice but to do it the second way.
  6. gc3

gc3 Senior Member

I've been going back over it. Its just that when I'm plowing on the 3rd & 4th side of the light base the leading plow edge next to the light as it scrapes by it pushes snow crumbs over what i cleaned earlier, that won't slide into the plow before I have enough room to swing the plow & truck over as I clear the light
  7. snoway63

snoway63 Senior Member

the way i go around pole is like you said one direction and when im up to the pole then i will push 90 degrees from the last push then go back to the direction you were plowing does this make sense hard to describe the technigue on here

IPLOWSNO PlowSite.com Addict

In my loader it's rather easy lol you just got to make sure when it articulates your going the right way
  9. mansf123

mansf123 Senior Member
    from mass

i have my shovelers shovel around all poles during final cleanup.....makes it alot easier and quicker
  10. sven1277

sven1277 Senior Member

I find its easy to plow around light poles. Its remembering they're there when you're backing up.
  11. snoway63

snoway63 Senior Member

wow you guys kidding me you dont know how to plow around light poles maybe you should be in a different line of work it aint rocket science
  12. hatefulmechanic

hatefulmechanic Senior Member

3rd gear 30mph hit them dead center, takes care of the mess easily.
  13. birddseedd

birddseedd PlowSite Veteran

I just took out my tail light driving forward past one. 4x4 is out and my truck moved to the side. was kind of depressing.
  14. Raymond S.

Raymond S. Senior Member

Ever notice how when you're at the end of a push in a lot with light poles you suddenly go into stealth ninja lightpole assassin mode. You're backing up, eyeing the driver's side windrow in the mirror, and in the back of your mind you can't help but think that damn light pole moved over into your path...
  15. birddseedd

na. i usualy do a really frickin big swerve out and around. :eek:
  16. G.Landscape

G.Landscape Senior Member
    from Ontario

Wow you guys put alot of effort into light poles....and 20 of them would be crazy. I just go once on each side of the pole, leaves a little football shape of snow but who cares, salt will get rid of some of the snow.
  17. gc3

gc3 Senior Member

Some of these contractors are real particular. They want no trails or crumbs left on the lot or next to any islands, handicap signs, pylons, cart corrals or lights. The one I do is a 8 acre lot with a ton of these. Plowing these are easy.The way they want it cleaned up is so time consuming. Some of it just seems like overkill but it sure does look good when your done. Sometimes when I go to someone elses lot you see how they did theirs and you think they did a crappy job.
  18. birddseedd

where do you live? noone in Michigan would ever pay for that level of service. sometimes plow a lot and the first half is covered by the time we plow the 2nd half.

IPLOWSNO PlowSite.com Addict

No I want my lots better than all the rest of the guys is what it comes down to,

I don't ever hear you did a crappy job and that's the way I want it too be, it's extra minutes in the long run
  20. gc3

gc3 Senior Member

If our lots get covered back up again and were still on the lot and its more than what the salt will melt then we will plow it all over again.