1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plowing around illegally parked cars

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by lawnkid, Feb 19, 2003.

1. lawnkid

lawnkid Senior Member

how does your guys' policy work for vehicles parkde in fire lanes or areas where there is no parking at all. Me and my boss use quite an effective method :D . now there are signs all over his parking lots in areas where you are not allowed to park so it;s no excuse why people can't move there cars. First we give them a "warning push" (we put a small pile behind the car usually like 3 ft high and one right next to the car). Then when we come back later that day, and if it's still not moved, then we cleanup the rest of the lot and totally bury the car in piles. We don't necesarilly stack it on the car, (this could cause damage) so we pile all around the car until there are piles about 6 or 7 feet tall. This usually lets them know never to do this again. I'm just telling you cause we did it several times to about 4 cars this weekend. :D Hey at least they don't have to pay a ticket :D
  2. phillyplowking1

phillyplowking1 Senior Member

Yea, thats what we do too.
  3. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

I just call for a hook.

4. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

I like the snow piles around the car.If you tow you have to wait for it to come and all the rest of the bs that goes with .At leat with the snow piled around the car you know they had to work hard to get it out and not just pay a small fine. :D
  5. Joe92GT

Joe92GT Member

We do that too
    only down side is, we were out 3 days for this clean up, so on the third day, the guys burried were flagging us down, blocking us, ect to get their cars out... I just pointed to the backhoe, and got out of all the extra work.
  6. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping Senior Member

you can have the best of both worlds. when you plow, pile like you were saying. then when they want you to plow em out, tell em youll hook a chain up and pull em out for a small fee:D luckily i havent had to plow anybody in yet, although there have been a few cars who pull in right in front of where im plowing id like to bury.
  7. chtucker

chtucker Senior Member

Man I feel old.... and boring..

I am definately tempted to bury them.. But I think twice. ANY scratch you put in the car is a liability. They will scream and your insurance company will hear from them.

Call a tow truck. Porbably cost them 200-300 to get it back. Much more painfull than shoveling

8. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

I had a lot of people that parked there cars in the parking lot of my farthers apt parking area .I know what cars belong and what cars don't so i just plowed snow right into them and even pushed them with the plow.who they gonna complain too the cops they are tresspassing and how do they know i did anything plus they made it hard for me to plow since space is limited.

Don't get mad get even all I know is when i came back again to make another pass they where not there again think they got the hint .
  9. SnoFoilFisher21

SnoFoilFisher21 Member

YES!!! burry thier asses!!!! NO SYMPOTHY!!!

lol i hate people like that:p
  10. drobson

drobson Senior Member

It depends on the site I am working. Some will have a contract with a towing company, in which case I just call for a tow and they bring the car to their tow lot. If they don't have a contract with a tow company I just plow it in. But I try not to make any snow touch the car, so they can't say I scratched the paint or anything. I just leave a good size pile around it so they will have to shovel to get out. If it's still there when I come back to cleanup, then I make the piles bigger.
  11. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

I supose that is all you can do if it's not your property but my father owns the place so no property ownes to call me and say something .
  12. dangerousdarren

dangerousdarren Member

one year the bosses son "tucked in" a neon so tight that the next day when we came back to touch up the apt. complex there was a pile of snow that looked like a mold for a neon, but the car was gone.
  13. Yes... I admit, when I was younger (early 20's) I too thought " PLOW THEM IN-BURY THE FOOL" but now I think about the ones that had no choice but to park in the plowed empty lot close to their house because they couldn't get in their own driveway.

You have to consider that some of , not all, could be elderly or have a disability. They probably have the intention to move it as soon as they can get into their own drives.

If they are deliberate violators then call and have them towed.
    To me, taking the time to bury a car, like some have described, is a waste of my time.

Come on guys, Be "POFESSIONALS"!!!!!
  14. dan deutekom

dan deutekom Member

I try not to bury cars even if they are illegally parked. You never know who owns them. It might even be the guy that signs your cheque. I don't know anyone alive that hasn't parked illegally sometime in their life. A ticket should suffice. It is not up to you to take the law into your own hands.
  15. NoStockBikes!!

NoStockBikes!! Senior Member

Another hypothetical problem (depending on the illegality of th epark job) could be that the end result is a big pil of snow in a fire lane, etc, that could put you in the hotseat vs. the idiot who parked there. A firetruck can go around a parked car (or smash the windows and run the hose through if you've seen that picture floating around), but not much they can do with a big ol' pile of snow. So I'd say do little things to make their life miserable, but don't get too carried away. And get the skinny on towing from the landlord.
  16. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

Well the other thing that some of these people did in my farthers lot was they just pulled in and parked right in the middle of it to.Just like if they owned it themselfs.
  17. captfudd

captfudd Member

just a point of intrest, back in 96 when we got 33 inches here i plowed an apartment building lot and plowed in between cars made a 6-7 foot piles, then had the loader stck into them spots making 10-12 piles well the car next to one didn't move for a few days, and it got warm and a large pice of snow rolled down the pile into the side of the car, i got a call from the mananger who called and std. i had dented a car while plowing and i said impossible, so i drove over and the owner of the car showed me & then std. she had pictures of the chunk of snow that i had plowed into her car, well to sum things up i refused to pay ended up in court and ended up loosing judge said i shouldn't have piled snow so close to cars ended up paying 873.40 for her repairs etc.

so watch plowing those cars in :mad:
  18. lawnkid

lawnkid Senior Member

Yes i agree with the people with the disabilities but then why do they make handicapped spaces. They make them for a reason. Another thing is that the car was parked there for over 8 hours so I don't think it was moving any time soon. Thanks for the replies, I was just curious to see.
  19. wyldman

wyldman Member

Just call a tow truck,let someone else take care of it.If you plow it in then you gotta come back and clean up the mess after they get it out.
  20. snowfighterG

snowfighterG Member

the sign and the message..........

We did the no parking signs and they have worked so far. People squawked but they stopped violating. They even took the signs down once or twice but in the end they got caught so getting towed and getting arrested gave them the message! Being lazy just doesn't pay.