1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plowing around bus stops

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by WalkBoston, Jan 28, 2011.

1. WalkBoston

WalkBoston Junior Member
    from Boston

I work with pedestrian advocacy group that connects people who need help clearing their sidewalks of snow and ice with commercial and volunteer plowers and shovelers. Right now we're trying to figure out some practical ways of keeping bus stops as clear as possible. My question for the forum is this:

Are there any plowing techniques that minimize the amount of snow that is pushed into a bus stop?

I've been told that some plows can be adjusted to push snow forward (not to the curb) when the truck is passing a bus stop. Seems like it would be pretty difficult, and would also require the operator to know where all the bus stops were.

Any insight is appreciated!

2. bristolturf

bristolturf Senior Member

Around here there are signs for every bus stop so someone can find them pretty easily. The problem is that the city plows have wings one them (most) and they push the snow towards the right which in turn would get the bus stop snowy, yes they can turn the plow straight, but then there are these problems, The snow that the blade has already picked up would begin to roll back into traffic, and the wing will still push it into the stop. It sucks, but its just the way it is, the roadways are more important to the public works than the bus stops.

3. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

wings on a plow
    more time for the plow guy to make another pass in the stop zone
    it all will cost money or time

4. Sal_Moides

Sal_Moides Junior Member
    from NE Ohio

walkboston

How about a voucher for volunteers to ride free if they shovel bus stop. Buses are usually empty anyway. Honestly, I would not be exposing myself to the liability risk involved in any freebie.