1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

plowing apartment lot

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by careiter, Feb 6, 2010.

1. careiter

careiter Junior Member

Problems plowing small apartment lot.Mainly if there are any cars in lot (which there usually is) there is no room to manuver. im using a f-150 with 7.6 blade. Also limited area to push snow and its piling up pretty good.Posted a note for tenants to park on north end on snow days but didnt help they still park where ever. Can the owner post no parking on snow days? Any ideas or tips appreciated
  2. sven1277

sven1277 Senior Member

You should have figured out where to put the snow at the beginning of the season. Tight lots are tough. I tell the property manager to tell the tenants not to park in the end spaces giving me someplace to push. They don't always listen, though. We go back the next day to clean up open spaces anyway.
  3. drh76

drh76 Junior Member

I have a couple of apartment lots like that. Even worse is when there is a parking ban and they have their friends park in the lot as well. I left notes on the tenants doors, did not do much good. Then I came by when every one was home and knocked on doors, I nicely gave them the help me help you pitch. The next storm they all parked on one side, and after seeing that in fact it made it easier for them in the morning no problems since. Keep in mind I have three to four unit buildings so it is not as hard to get everyone on the same page as a ten unit or so.
  4. Dewey

Dewey Senior Member

I have a appartment that I do with 18 units.. I t has a circular lot I plow one side of the circle ,as I am plowing I blow the horn... That is the signal for all the tenants to move there vehicles there. Sometime it takes a few minutes but I think its worth the wait .Once they have moved I plow rest of the lot and they go back to there regular spot... I have been doing this place for 12 years and it works really good... The management sends out a notice in the fall to explain this..
  5. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Apartments suck no matter what. It is usually a multi-trip event when it snows.
    Luckily the ones we do the owner will have all the cars moved a day or so after the snow to have us come back and clean.
    If a car gets left it gets buried.
  6. heather lawn spray

heather lawn spray PlowSite.com Addict

The superintendent at one of our bulildings rousts everybody when we show up and everybody who wants their spot cleared moves their car