1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

plowing and pileing

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by cat320, Mar 1, 2002.

1. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

I have a question it is probably a stupid one so please be kind.If you are plowing a parking lot say about a 33-50K sq ft and you are only using a loader with a plow or a protech pusher type blade how do you price it?

Price it for plowing and then for pileing .

Combine the price as you would be doing it at the same time with a loader.

I have not seen this ever mentioned in here and I am woundering what would be the right way to price it, that's if a loader was your only equipment being used at that site.

2. JD PLOWER

JD PLOWER PlowSite.com Veteran

Cat some people posted on this subject before and if I remember correctly they said you could price it for plowing and then reconfigure the job for a machine with a pusher or plow. What you could do is state in the contract that "snow will be plowed to the edges of the property", that way if they ask for it to be removed or stacked, it is a seperate charge. I did this last year with a hotel that wanted the snow to "not be visible to the guest's". This year however with the storms being so few and far between the piles melted within a few days or less. If a customer wants it stacked on every storm regardless of the amount you can just include it in the total.

3. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

When you figure the job If your gonna just use a machine you would charge for a normal plow and just push like a truck but not plie or stack unless you chrage the extra money for it or unless it was part of the contract to be done every strom,well not this year but normally that is how every oe would handel it.

4. JD PLOWER

Thats pretty much the way I do it. For me I can't guarantee that a loader or bobcat will always be there, but I can guarantee a plow truck will be there so I'm covered if I have to plow and then get a machine to stack or remove piles.

5. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

the reason for me asking is if i put a proteck on my 580 or i pick up an old loader and put a plow on it should i be charging more to just plow with that on site .I see guys around here that use them to plow lots and was woundering if you would charge more or they can only do that if the lot is pretty good size like a HD or target typ lot.

6. JD PLOWER

Are you working for another contractor or yourself on this lot?

7. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

me and this other freind of mine might try to get the target over here and i am trying to get ready and see if i will get the hook ups for my machine what to charge .I was looking at a loader but i'm not sure if i will get it i think it's too much $ for the work that will have to be done but i would like to get it and eather use it for my own or rent it out to other contractors.

8. JD PLOWER

I don't know if this will help but I was quoted $50-60 (7 series) per hour for a bobcat without a plow, $65-80 for a plow or small (6'-8') box. Do you plan on doing this job on a per hour or per inch?

9. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

I really haven't talked with him about it as far as that but just trying to be ready on my end they way this year has been i think it might be a good idea to start eary for next season i don't really know how they would want it priced .

10. Tim Baden

Tim Baden Member

Around here in sw michigan they are getting $100 per hour to stack snow with JD 644 loaders.

11. TurfPlus

TurfPlus Senior Member

We have two rates. One for stacking or loading and another rate for a loader with a pusher/plow. Although a loader with a box can stack the snow we still have to do final clean up with a loader/bucket to clean curb to curb which is done the following night.

John

12. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

Thats how I do it.

Geoff

13. landman

landman Senior Member
    from NJ

We figure the whole job as if we were plowing it with trucks. We do 5 Large aparment complexes, 4 Hotels, 1 BJ'S wholsale club, 1 banquet center, 2 large trucking Co's and about 35 other commercial accounts. We don't use a loader unless its a must. Otherwise they accounts will expect the machine there everytime. And then when they are really needed, they will say "you use it all the time so why should we pay more now?" Our rates are as follows (all are based on a 3 hr minimum rental portal to portal)
    $275.00 per hr for a JD410 backhoe with a 1 1/2 yard bucket, $275.00 per hr for a Komatsu wheel loader with a 2 yard bucket,
    $300.00 per hour for a Michigan Payloader with a 5 yard bucket,
    $225.00 per hour for a Bobcat 853 with a 1 yard bucket.
    So you see if we just use the equipment we will loose when it's really needed. Some of the places where the owners aren't there we will use the machine just to get done faster.

14. Daryl

Daryl Junior Member

Wow you must be plowing in heaven. I could never even get close to those prices.

15. landman

landman Senior Member
    from NJ

We don't normally use alot of machines unless it's a nessicity. We haven't used them at all this year. the last time we used them was last year after the 18" of snow we got on Dec 30- Jan2 and then once or twice after that to stack snow. The thing that bothers me is that 2 of the apt complexes we picked up this year have alot of tight areas and the owner wouldn't give us the contract unless we plowed the lot with a payloader. My thought was to plow it with trucks and then clean up with the Bobcat. He said no. So I said OK I will plow your lots with a loader and it is going to cost a bit more. he said no problem. I said OK I need a $7500.00 retainer up front (non refundable) and then per inch occurance and salting and shoveling walks. I told him the retained would be applied to payments for plowing and if there was a balance it was considered a (bonus). He said OK here's the check Took the check and went to the Komatsu dealer and rented the loader and parked it at the complex, needless to say the guys was impressed that 3 days after he gave me a check and signed a contract there was a new loader parked at his site dedicated to his complexs. He called to say that he liked the fact that I was on top of things. When we had our only snow storm this year he called me at about 11 pm and asked what time we would arrive to start plowing and cleaning up, I said the guys have been there since 9 pm. He couldn't believe it, he said all the past years he would always have to call the guys to go there, he would always get complaints from the residents and he would always get pissed at the guy he hired. This year he said he got about 10 calls (all compliments) and the people told him that they shouldn't ever get rid of me.

16. Nailit1954

Nailit1954 Senior Member
    from ma.

Landman
    NICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!