1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plowing Alleys

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Ipushsnow, Jan 26, 2009.

1. Ipushsnow

Ipushsnow Senior Member

I have always stayed away from plowing alleys because I have heard horror stories about them. The main complaint I have heard is that if there are 20 people that live on that block you may get 15 to pay, then 2 or 3 of those 15 will realize there were 5 people that got plowed for free and THEY refused to pay the next year, and then it snowballed downhill from there to the point where no one wants to pay and you walk away from it.

Well a friend that lives real close to me asked me to do his alley, and I plowed it for a small fee. He said the neighbors all loved it and want me to plow it all the time. I said ok, $50 per house for the season, and they have to understand I am making 2 passes down the alley and snow is NOT being cleared from directly in front of their garages. I also said YOU go soliciting and collect all the money. He was cool with that.

So after receiving $800 for this 5 minutes worth of work per snowfall 3 blocks from my house my businessman instincts kicked in and I thought there was some good money in this for a small amount of time and maybe I should really go after this type of work.

Any input from people that do alleys would be appreciated. Tell me why you love them or hate them.

Thanks!

2. blowerman

blowerman PlowSite.com Addict

Over 15 years ago I plowed a few alleys in Milwaukee. The moneys not that bad, but the two problems I found relate to collecting money (as you did, have one neighbor collect from everyone) and cars packing down the snow. Oh, I forgot to mention; after you plow then the people shovel the snow back out into the alley. Now, if you're getting paid seasonal, do you go back?

3. Ipushsnow

Ipushsnow Senior Member

Didn't think of people shoveling it back out into the alley, good point. If I did go back, it would only be to push it back in front of their garage!!!

4. blowerman

blowerman PlowSite.com Addict

What area were you looking at plowing? I plowed off Hampton and Capitol between 50th and 76th.. No more alleys or city work for me.

5. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

6. qualitycut

qualitycut PlowSite Fanatic

7. Ipushsnow

Ipushsnow Senior Member

Blowerman, its on the southeast side, I do NO work at all on the north side, too dangerous for me!

Reaper, Qualitycut is right, I know its $800 per season, not per snowfall.

And as for pushing it away from the garages, how do you do that? There are garages on both sides of the alley and nowhere to pile anything. I push half the alley to the right and half to the left. The service they are paying for is after they shovel the front of their own garage out they know they have clear driving all the way to the street. Which they wouldn't have if just one guy in the middle of the alley doesn't shovel his portion and EVERYONE on that alley could be fuc*ed.

But I did some more thinking on this, what do you guys think of having one guy on each block that signs everyone up, and collects all the money? In return he doesn't have to pay. I am thinking its worth $50.00 to not have to deal with all the BS of chasing people down and just dealing with one guy.

8. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

Good idea with the discount for the money collecter.

As far as the moron who pushes the snow back into the street after you plowed, let the neighbors deal with him. It will be obvious who it was.

9. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

My friend here in WB has a contract with the city to plow all the alleys. I'm jealous. If I wasn't his friend, I would call the city and bid on them.

10. The mayor

The mayor Senior Member

You live in Milwaukee and I lived on the southside. What you may think is easy money wont be. After this season of plowing alleys, you will have all kind of nightmare stories to tell. I had to take my neighbor to court because she thought my the garage was too white and decided to paint the side facing her a darker color. Alot of numbnuts and social retards. good luck