1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plowing advice with my new Chevy

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by blackDiesel, Sep 11, 2010.

1. blackDiesel

blackDiesel Member

Hey Guys,
    I'm going to get my new (used) chevy set up for plowing this season. Its a 2008 Chevy 2500HD, Duramax, Allison Trans. I'm plowing with a Boss 8' Straight Blade. Any advice on what gear to plow in, technique, and overall experience in these newer chevys/duramax trucks? thanks a lot- ussmileyflag

PS- Its 9/11 today, let's not forget. I just got out of the service after 6 years and would like to honor those who are serving our country today... :salute:

2. mycirus

mycirus Senior Member
    from Mass

If you are pushing snow forward, use the D....when you want to back up. Use the R. Hope this helps.

3. blackDiesel

blackDiesel Member

Thanks! I had no idea!!! I was asking because I read some people were saying to use gear (1) forward... Just trying to get info that's all...

4. mycirus

mycirus Senior Member
    from Mass

Yeah some people say use the 1 instead of the D. I have an 01 GMC gasser and use D and havent had any issues in 2 seasons. I just do driveways and I am easy on my truck. Yours sounds nice. Im jealous.

5. blackDiesel

blackDiesel Member

thanks, appreciate the compliment, I bet you wouldn't be jealous of my payment! haha

6. watatrp

watatrp Senior Member

I had a Chevy Dmax/Allison. Used Drive all the time and not 1. The Allison is one of the best made.

7. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

This will be my first winter in my Dmax. I plan to plow in Drive with Tow/Haul on and 4hi. 1st gear would be way to slow to be productive in parking lots.

8. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Common misconception that T/H is a wise choice for plowing short distances. Many think they're "helping" the trans but all they're doing is adding unneeded wear to the TC and it's components if it won't be in 2nd for any length of time. Once you're in 2nd with T/H on the TC applies....go a short distance to the pile and slow or come to a stop, trans releases the TC and downshifts back to 1st. Do it a hundred times per event and you're just adding wear through totally unnecessary and avoidable cycling of the TC and it's solenoid.

Snowplowing isn't towing or hauling unless you're plowing roads.

9. lawn king

lawn king PlowSite.com Addict

Use the manual shifting mode, put a weightbox in the bed.

10. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Give the truck some TLC. After all it's a Chevy:laughing:. Seriously, up-grade the wire from your alternator to the battery, and make sure you have a good quality battery of the highest amp hour rating you can install in the available space. I like to use a dual post battery (both side and top post) and install the plow and components to the posts not used by the truck. The battery acts as a filter that way, will give you cleaner power and assure you are not running the plow directly off the alternator. DO NOT use the jump lug to pick up a power supply, If you'd watch what an oscilloscope does when connected there you'd understand, today's electronic components are not designed for those kinds of voltage spikes.

Thank you for your service:salute:

11. lawn king

lawn king PlowSite.com Addict

Doe's the truck have twin 125 amp alternators? (plow prep)

12. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

Just put it in D and go like hell. You'll be fine!:nod:

13. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

Thanks for the tip!

That's what I did for 3yrs with my 1/2ton. Works great. :D

14. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

First things first--Thankyou for serving our country.I'm offering a discount to all active military in my excavating biz,seems the least I can do.

Last year was the first time plowing with my 2006 3500 W the Dmax and Ally.I plowed in D in 4H unless it was extremely heavy wet snow and then in 4L,also in D.The Ally is smarter than you so there's really no reason to use the manual mode of 1-6,but if that's what floats your boat,pick a gear that feels right to the load you're pushing.Backing up in 4L is extremely slow so on a long return,I usually put it in 4H.I absolutely love the way my truck pushes snow,should have retired my old 88 V30 dump truck gasser years ago.I'm giving up app.4-5K lbs. and the Dmax will outpush her hands down and with just single rear wheels compared to duals.I also cut my fuel consumption to app. half on my entire 10-12 hr. route. Have fun.

15. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

This seems to be more for the 4L80E/4L85E transmissions- keeps them from upshifting. if you're doing drives... might as well hold it in 1, the extra torque can't hurt- especially when stacking at the end of the drive!

Just remember- always keep track of where you are when you're backing up... in the middle of your first snow storm when you're nervous and jittery about plowing for the first time... it's real easy to back up fast and cream a mailbox or a tree... seen it done!

16. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

Do you know what trucks lock up in T/H in 2nd gear?

I'm not sure what you mean the "TC applies"..... do you mean locks? Also, "releases"? You mean unlock? The TC is always working, usually in an unlocked capacity, and usually in fluid coupling, where a lot of heat is generated because the TC is spinning at a different speed than the engine.

Is it possible that the lockup could help with keeping trans temps down, as there is no slippage when it's locked?

Last edited: Oct 3, 2010
  17. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Anything with an Allison 1000 whether gas or Diesel.

Correct, to "lock" it has to "apply" the TC clutch, and to "unlock" it has to "release" the clutch (just like with a manual trans). Same thing just different terminology.

The trick is to keep the speed between the converter pump/housing (which is connected to the engine) and the turbine (which is connected to the trans input shaft) as close to the same speed as much as possible through driver technique to reduce that slippage. And to do that you keep RPM's above the stall speed of the TC. This lessens the speed difference between those two components that are connected by the fluid coupling thus reducing heat buildup. Avoiding lugging at low speeds, using a lower gear and not pushing hard at low engine RPM's will reduce heat production in the converter.

Tow/Haul will not replace a drivers uneducated right foot in a plowing application and in most cases (other than road plowing) is actually a hindrance to the life of the TC.

18. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

Thanks B+B