1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plowing A Square Lot

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by ALEX516, Jan 25, 2004.

1. ALEX516

ALEX516 Senior Member

How do you guys do it?

I've seen some start down the middle, some sides. etc....

Wondering what each one of you think the easiest / fastest way is.
    Angled, Strait, etc...
    Figure 200x150 or the such

Thanks!

2. poncho62

poncho62 Senior Member

It all depends on where to snow is going to end up.

If you want it all to one side, yo start at the other side.

If it doesn't matter, start in the centre.

It's all common sense............

3. JMR

JMR Senior Member

Besides figuring in where you want the snow to go, don't forget to factor in the wind. Around here if you start in the wrong place you could plow an entire lot, only to have it covered again by snow you just plowed and blown by the wind. Always develop a plan of attack before you start. There is more to pushing snow than just plowing.

4. poncho62

poncho62 Senior Member

I also found, that when doing driveways, to always put the snow on the proper side of the entrance. It helps the homeowner be able to see if cars are coming. And you know that as soon as you are finished, that SOB from the town is gonna fill in the bottom of the driveway again. No sense giving him a big bank of snow to push back in the entrance.

5. DJL

DJL Senior Member

A portion of my commercial lot is two square parking areas. I agree with the two previous posts although the wind is rarely a factor for us because the lots are lined with trees and shrubs thus creating a natural wind break.

I'd like to add that I'm careful to avoid stacking snow were the storm drains are. That way when it melts or I apply a de-icing agent it is likely to go into the storm drain rather than refreezing on the cleared lot. Now, I can't avoid this for the bigger storms (>8") but I attempt it. Just my added thoughts.

6. legoconstruct

legoconstruct Junior Member

IT ALSO DEPENDS ON DEPTH OF SNOW AND SIZE OF LOT.
    YOU WILL HAVE A HARD TIME WINDROWING WITH A DEEP SNOW IN EVEN THE SMALLEST LOTS.
    SO STARTING IN THE MIDDLE AND TAKING BLIND RUNS OUT WILL HELP WITH DEEP SNOW.
    EVEN WITH LESS SNOW A START IN THE CENTER MAKES IT FASTER AS YOU DONYT HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT ROLL OFF.
    WE ALWAYS TKAE THE SHORTEST RUN TO THE END OF THE LOT

7. jhook

jhook Senior Member

Keeping previously mentioned factors in mind, the main thing is you want to do as much of it in one direction as possible. Every time you turn your truck around, it takes time. So forward and back right accross the lot. I will also plow a lot different ways depending on the amount of snow I am pushing if it make the windrows too large. Try it a couple different ways if you are not sure and time yourself.

8. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

Personally I'd plow it all to one side. Depending on the wind direction would tell me which side to put it on.:waving:

9. JMR

JMR Senior Member

Legoconstruct: Typing in all caps implies yelling. Are you yelling at us? These threads are merely a constructive way to share ideas with others with a common interest.

10. Nailit1954

Nailit1954 Senior Member
    from ma.

Hi
    I personely find starting on the right side and working to my left ( if possible) works best for me. When backing up I can see where I left off. But in deep snow in a large lot this is a problem. Then I would start in the middle and work both ways! Backing up into an already cleared area. Does this make any sense! :waving:

11. legoconstruct

legoconstruct Junior Member

no jmr , my keyboard was screwed up, just got new one.