1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

plowing a solar field

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by SnowPusherVT, Oct 5, 2012.

1. SnowPusherVT

SnowPusherVT Junior Member

i am lookin at plowing a 20 acre solar panel field or what ever you wanna call it. Their is 12' between the rows and some of the rows are 1600' long, under the panels needs to be cleared as well and their's stumps and rocks and **** under them. My plan is to use a 100hp ag tractor chained front and back with a pusher on the front and a blower on the back, i cant blow in between the panels because of collateral damage the blower is to get the banks back when ive pushed them out. my plan for under the panels is a pto leaf blower witch i will also use to blow the snow off the panels. looking for feed back.

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Turn the panels so the sun melts the snow!

3. SnowPusherVT

good theory but they used fixed panels, I dont know why. I'm guessing the panels will take care of themselves 90% of the time but i need something for the 10% its gotta be better than the brooms they suggested lol, i know ill show up and my tractor will start, hired hands im not so sure of.

4. FISHERBOY

FISHERBOY Senior Member

sounds llike a cool job

5. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

...and a pain in the rear.

6. SNOWLORD

SNOWLORD Senior Member
    from MN

The blower idea will work good until you get a wet heavy snow then I dont think it will get the snow out from underneath. I have looked at the pto leaf blowers you are talking about. Basically all they are is an old blower for filling silos pointed at the ground.

7. hotshot4819

hotshot4819 Senior Member

funny you post this question..
    I have recently been put in the situation with a contact that i have for a couple sites just like this.
    one is 70acres, another is 50 or so.. and there are a few small 10-15 acres
    all solar panels..

I have just started the whole thinking process on how to get this done...
    all of our locations are actually prepped and seeded nicely so i was thinking about a big ag tractor with a blower and pusher might be a good idea....

or a LARGE track skit with a 8ft push box and then have a blower attachment as well to do other areas...

im also being asked to do mowing a couple times a year , and also possbily cleaning the panels if the get dirty....

almsot sounds like a full time job.

8. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

I don't know the the layout but I don't think it's possible to make a 1600 'push between the rows. On a 3" snowfall you"ll be pushing 175 cu yds of snow per row ,not counting the snow under and around the panels.Loader and 3-4 tri-axle dumps chained up.Just my uninformed 2 cents

9. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge PlowSite Veteran
    from NJ

Wow,

I was thinking the same thing. That job could get costly if you pushed too hard, and the machine hit a patch of ice near a solar panel.

Anyone know how much to repair one ....or a row of panels ? First thing I would do is contact my insurance company and see if I was covered under my policy, as certain areas are not.

10. PhilFromErie

PhilFromErie Senior Member

he wouldn't have to take the whole 1600 feet in one bite..I think a tractor or loader would work fine. You see that pusher Pro-Tech makes for pulling snow out from under dropped trailers? Check it out I bet that would work great for pulling snow from under the panels.

11. 2_Djinn

2_Djinn Senior Member

Back pack blowers might work good for cleaning off the panels ?

12. alldayrj

alldayrj PlowSite.com Addict

Can you swing an ebling under the panel? If you include it in the bid you could have a fab shop make you anything custom to do the job. Some pictures would help too. Having trouble visualizing a 1600' push. I plowed rail yards for a year and backing up the length of a train all night in a skid steer really made my neck hurt for a week after

13. Last i heard i think there about 250000 or more for the big remote controled panels.

14. MatthewG

MatthewG PlowSite.com Addict

Stumps and rocks under the panels?????

Is this Mars?

15. 90plow

90plow Senior Member

sounds like a bad time...

16. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

How about a google earth link? Like to take a look.

17. WilliamOak

WilliamOak PlowSite.com Addict

Sounds like they'd need an ungodly budget to make this all worth your time. However not sure what the clearance is under the panels but pro tech makes an offset pusher for under semi trailers that might be feasable for that. you could just lift it off the ground however much you need to clear the obstacles. Or remove all of the boulders/stumps if they'll pay for that one time in order to keep costs down during snow season

18. MatthewG

MatthewG PlowSite.com Addict

Am I the only one hung up on the "stumps and rocks"?

Not sure I remember when I plowed a lot full of stumps and rocks

Id pass unless its $100,000

19. SnowPusherVT

yeah going to get a visual this week ill post pics, they're talking 75-100k
    I'm trying to get ideas and suggestions so far, the rocks and stumps ill have to see if i can get them out and so far im going by what my buddy said he was looking at i have not met to see what they actually want.
    Mind you he was looking at bidding but has to much crap going on already.

20. DirtyJerzey

DirtyJerzey Senior Member

Id be very concerned with "rocks and stumps" as far as the use of blowers of any kind. those rocks will surely get in the plowing lanes and end up getting launched onto the panels... Better be some BIG $$ if you ask me