1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plowing a post office

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Joel B., Jul 18, 2002.

1. Joel B.

Joel B. Senior Member
    from MN

I have a post office about two blocks from me that needs lawn mowing real bad and I thought I would shoot them a bid for plowing too. Are there any special circumstances I should know about plowing post offices?

Thanks,

Joel B.

2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Joel, I bid a couple of small post offices last year. I bid the same rate as for residential and didn't get either one. While the postmaster wouldn't tell me exactly what the winning bid was, she did say I was about twice as high. Mainly, I think you'll just need to be aware of the time the truck delivers mail from the Main P.O. which may be any time of night, but is very exact.

Bids apparently are awarded by price, not service - at least according to the postmaster I talked to. There is no use in telling them about the great service you give. At least in this area, the local postmaster seems to have no influence as to who gets the bid.

3. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

they want the lowest price untill they can't move then they will be calling you every min. for you to come and service them.If people want cheap then tell them that is what to expect .It's like evry thing else you get what you pay for.:)

4. Lawn Lad

Lawn Lad Senior Member

I inquired at our local post office - the local manager/post master was required to collect three bids and then would send them to the main district office for someone there to make the decision.

I didn't bother to bid since I knew the decision would be based purely on price and I did not need the practice bidding.

5. BRIMOW525

BRIMOW525 Senior Member

I'd put in a bid anyway. But I would expect them to be either very picky and/or cheap. Make sure the contract, triggers, and payment schedule is at YOUR terms and only YOUR terms. Happy Bidding!

6. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

I subbed at a Postal Processing Center for a number of years. The docks had to be constantly maintained so the trucks could load/unload throughout the night. You would have to know the pick-up times at that particular office and be sure the dock is ready.

Many small Post Offices are privately owned and leased to USPS, so you'd be dealing with a landlord at those locations.

Mick, I think you'd be entitled to receive the bid information if you pursued it, in fact I'd demand it. How else would you know you weren't low bid?

7. slplow

slplow PlowSite.com Veteran

A friend of mine does a dig post office in town. He does it by the inch and he pretty much stays there the whole storm with one truck. He subs me to do the sand/ salt mix and I get a good amount for that. He will not give me the his bid #s but he say's they pay fast.
    I say give them a bid .

Last edited: Jul 19, 2002
  8. digger242j

digger242j Senior Member

I hadn't thought of it before I read that line, but the Post Office is part of the government, and the government pays $700 for toilet seats on B-52s. Maybe the guys who commented above that the Post Offfice would be cheap with their plowing money weren't thinking the question all the way through....

9. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

I am pretty sure the bids are public info. Another contractor here plows two local small post offices. I will ask him.

The others are right about the service. No matter where he is he must plow one P.O. at any amount of snow right around 5:15am so the truck can get in. Otherwise they just want the customer lot kept in good shape like any commercial property.

Here I do know that the local postmaster makes the decision. I would still bet price and not service is the key.

10. mulchmonkey2000

mulchmonkey2000 Senior Member

I do two local post offices here. The one i've been doing for 2 years and the other i just started last year. The first one i was the postmaster said i was the only one he called to bid. It was only for the sidewalks b/c the lot is plowed by the owner of the diner next door as some sort of agreement they have. The second post office i know i bid against atleast one other company. Both postmasters told me that they had to send it to their regional manager for approvial. I know when they pay that i recieve it within a day or two of sending the bill.

11. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

CT is correct, if it goes out to "public bid" than the bids that were submitted are "public information". All you have to do is request them before you place your bid, and they have to furnish last year's bids. They may try to give you a run around, but you are entitled to view them.

~Chuck