1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plowing a long lane, deep snow

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by Bucky336, Jan 6, 2014.

1. Bucky336

Bucky336 Junior Member

I'm not new to owning a plow, but I think I may need some pointers to make me more effective with it.
    Curtis plow on 2500 Silverado. Good appropriate tires. 1000#'s weight in back.
    Woke up this morning and the wind had changed direction last night, burying the lane with 14" for probably 500'. I tried angle plowing, and ended up with so much in front of me that the plow rode up. I tried to push to the left and right as much as I had room to, but basically I was done for. Didn't stick the truck, so the neighbor used a skid loader to dig a path for me.
    Asides from being on top of hitting it before it is a problem, anything you can advise? The lane is not an ideal setup, as it is lower than much of the surrounding. So it fills up a bit. I do have ditches, but those are already filled with snow. Total length of the lane is about 1/8 mile or a little better.

Any suggestions are sure appreciated.

2. FisherVMan

FisherVMan Senior Member

Sounds like the standard old story Bucky, you let the snow get way to deep for your equipment to handle it before you attacked it. If you had a V you probably could have gotten a hole thru it but with a straight plow if that was heavy stuff that is ALOT of weight.
    I have a 1 1/4 mile of road to plow and I can tell you I could never let it get that deep unless I was going to start out with the Walther SnoFighter............................. good luck

3. seville009

seville009 Senior Member
    from CNY

Was it tripping and riding up?

A trip edge V plow would probably work alot better. Other than that, Probably not much else you can do with the existing plow. Sometimes the snow situation can just be too much for certain equipment.

Could try less than a full drop if you don't think you'll get stuck. Drop the blade and then raise it 5or 6 inches and plow like that. Then come back and do it again with the blade on the ground.

4. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

^^^^ this ^^^^

5. Bucky336

Bucky336 Junior Member

I'm afraid you are right. I should have gotten up at least twice and stayed ahead of it. The wind just shifted and caught me unprepared.

6. seville009

seville009 Senior Member
    from CNY

Problem is that sometimes it can be impossible to stay ahead of it, mainly when you're dealing with drifting snow. An hour after you plow, it can be all drifted in again. Plowing while the winds are still howling makes it worse because you end up making snow banks, which create even higher drifts. Can turn into a vicious cycle.

7. Bucky336

Bucky336 Junior Member

I will say I considered that, and I chickened out. I was afraid I would get stuck for sure. I guess I was just scared to try it. Is it easy to get stuck this way or is it pretty common to do this?

8. Bucky336

Bucky336 Junior Member

I will say I considered that, and I chickened out. I was afraid I would get stuck for sure. I guess I was just scared to try it. Is it easy to get stuck this way or is it pretty common to do this?

9. Bucky336

Bucky336 Junior Member

Hmmm.. Said that twice. Deja Vu.

10. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

I think your only option is little bites at a time and go left and right. I know you said you tried it but only other way is lift blade up and blaze a trail

11. seville009

seville009 Senior Member
    from CNY

I've never had to do it myself, but I would think that as long as the truck felt like it was still driving solid and steady, then you would be fine. If the truck is slipping and sliding, then the snow in front of the blade is probably still too much.

Could always put chains on to mitigate that issue though.

12. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

I've only had to do this one time. I basically stacked it as I went down.

I would drop the blade, plow a couple feet than gradually push the blade up. But not more than 4 inches or so cause you'll get stuck. Basically just kept stacking it up and pushing it down the lane.

13. Bucky336

Bucky336 Junior Member

As it turns out I got the chance this afternoon to try the lifting. Lane was pretty socked in when I got home. Not as bad as this morning, but pretty deep. As I was going along, I felt like I was losing speed, so I raised the plow maybe 4" and blazed right through. You guys kind of gave me the courage to try it. It worked! Thanks! I have a feeling it will blow over again tonight as well. Darn wind!

14. Rick547

Rick547 Senior Member
    from Indiana

I had a similar problem today. I was asked to plow out a driveway with about 24" of snow in it. I was having trouble with the blade wanting to float up on top of the snow. I was able to elevate the problem by using down pressure on the blade. Thank you Snoway!

15. '08FX4SnoPro3K

'08FX4SnoPro3K Member

Just be careful, because you will get stuck if you pick it up too high.

16. FisherVMan

FisherVMan Senior Member

Go light an go often

Well I have tried over the last fourty years plowing about every technique I could think of, some were good and some were not so good, but one thing I can tell you for sure . If you are consirned about your equipment, the theory of stay ahead of the storm is the best advice you can go by .
    All this jive about , chaining up and lifting the plow off the ground , and taking hundreds of little bites , is all good advice to a point , and then there is the standard get frustrated and just start wanging right into it over and over with the engine screaming and temps off the clock approach. All of the above are really just inexperience trying to find a way to deal with the same problem................................. you waited tooooo long. When I am plowing my road here , in a normal snow storm where we get say a foot or so, of heavy wet snow, I could be plowing 3-4 times in the nite , to stay ahead of it , so I really NEVER get into these sorta problems as I just don't allow it to happen,
    Waiting until morning after you have had your breakfast to find out you have 24" of cement to try to plow sounds like the perfect receipt for a new transmission to me............................ chaining up is the perfect receipt for totally demolishing your truck if you loose your temper. Its way more actual work, and way more frustration to wait, and try move to much snow for your equipment ,
    It always amazes me how much can go wrong, even with the best laid plans , but to wait until it stops snowing is really no plan at all ,and is almost always going to end in disaster.................. JM2CW:nod:

Last edited: Jan 27, 2014
  17. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

Best thing you can do is keep it straight and off the ground about 6'' Bust say 50 ft then back up put on the ground and keep it straight plow that same 40' Keep doing that over and over till hit main road then you can windrow sides over
    Or trade the old plow in for a Vplow Good luck next time

18. hedhunter9

hedhunter9 Senior Member

I do one residential drive that is about 1800 feet.. It has about 250 feet of area that drifts badly.
    Sometimes by the time I finish with our other jobs, it can be pretty deep there..
    With the heavy snow and 40+mph winds we had last night, it was drifted up almost 2 feet.
    I ran thru with the plow all the way up the first time. and was pushing snow with the blade all the way up!
    Came back thru with the blade dropped about half way.
    Third time thru, dropped all the way..

Near the road, I started pushing off the side of his drive, so I wouldnt end up with a huge pile of snow
    at his entrance.
    Works for me.

Bob

19. Bucky336

Bucky336 Junior Member

I must have a wuss of a truck. LOL. If I lift the plow all the way up and start cruising, I'm not cruising far! I ended up on the loader tractor for 3 1/2 hours yesterday. Part of my problem is that we have had so much snow with no melting, and the piles on either side are finally tall enough that they act as a snow fence, and the lane fills. Plus, with the snow on either side, it is severely limiting where I can put snow now. I push back as much as I can. But with the ditch on either side you can only go so far before being sucked in. I usually get up a couple times during the night if I know the wind is out of the West, but Sunday night the boy and I went out at 8:00, and it was frightening. We couldn't see past the plow with the wind and snow the way it was. It was the worst white out I have ever seen. We had to let it go.

20. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

Living in Northern, IL is fun this winter isn't it? If it's not snowing and windy it's 20 below.