1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plowing a gravel parking lot

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by fireboy6413, Dec 26, 2009.

1. fireboy6413

fireboy6413 Senior Member

I have a huge parking lot that is in the woods, all the roads are gravel, what is the best way to plow this, I tried the whole shoe thing and that sucks. I was thinking about doing the pipe thing on the bottom, but I have other lots that are paved that I go to right after this one, any ideas. Thanks Guys
  2. WNYSeasonalSvs.

WNYSeasonalSvs. Junior Member
    from WNY

5 options:
    1, Tear up the gravel & get rocks stuck in every orifice of your plow.
    2, Raise the blade and inch or two & hope they don't care.
    3, Bring a wrench with you to unbolt the pipe
    4, Find more pavement & pass the job up.
    5, convince them into paving it all.

I'd pick #4 but it sounds like you already committed so #3
  3. RipT

RipT Senior Member

Option #3 as suggested above
  4. fireboy6413

fireboy6413 Senior Member

thats what I was fearing, they pay me good enough to take the wrench to the plow, I was just hoping for something easier
  5. Lugnut

Lugnut Senior Member

Drop the plow and bump it up a half inch or so before every pass. Thats all i do and get everything pretty clean, im plowing a gravel road, 2 drives and a small lot, all item 4. As long as its packed and relatively level you will do fine like this, and they have to understand that gravel will never be perfect like pavement, unless they want 1/2 ton piles of stone when their piles melt.
  6. Kenyou

Kenyou Senior Member

The main thing is to get the ground frozen and make a good base which is hard to do with a lot of snow on it. Snow is an insullation and won't let the ground freeze. Usually for a small area, I drive over the snow, if it is only a few inches at a time and pack it down and hope that it stays frozen. Now it is almost like pavement. Good Luck