1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? Explore this quick video tour of updates and enhancements. It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plowing a gravel driveway

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by peterstaley, Aug 31, 2007.

1. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

I raked all my gravel back by hand on my driveway. I did both sides for about 1/2 mile. It was crazy. Took me four solid days. I'll never do that again. I'm saving up for a powerbroom because it's cheaper than asphalt!

2. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

How can that be Hard on the pump?
    What is different than it bouncing as you travel down the road?

3. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I agree. That's how I do it and it works fine. In small storms when the ground isn't frozen, it's better just not to plow the driveway.

4. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

lol pack it down and let it frezz, chances are the first few snow falls are going to melt by the next day.

5. Peterbilt

Peterbilt Senior Member
    from IA.

Notice how this thread starter hasn't ever posted again? Got his awnser and fired his plow operator.

6. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Happens all the time. There must be 10,000 people with one post over the years. The thing is, the original poster may not have even stuck around for the first reply. But, the regulars went on and on for pages among themselves, not caring that he isn't even around anymore.

7. DeereFarmer

It's all about learning as much as you can. I'm in the same situation as the origional thread poster, so I'm taking all the advice in!

8. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

The threads take on a life of there own.:nod:

On my personal drive I have approx 430ft of gravel and 75ft of pavement.

I back drag it until the ground freezes unless we get a freak:eek: early blizzard. Then I raise it so it is just off the ground.

9. DeereFarmer

Thats what I usually try to do, but it's hard with the plow. I have about 1.5 miles of gravel and dirt total, so going backwards the whole time just isn't possible.

10. kcplowmata

kcplowmata Senior Member
    from kc

If the drive is straight try back dragging

11. Clint

Clint Member

So I'm trying to understand this....back dragging doesn't lift has much stone
    along with the snow?
    I've got 600ft hard pack that I'll be plowing for the 1st time this year.

Clint
    99TJ
    Western Suburbanite 7.4

12. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

That's true - because of the curvature of the moldboard. The down side is that you really can't backdrag very far unless you backdrag at an angle. Then you're going to be gouging the stone with the edge nearer the truck. My advice is to learn to "bump up" the moldboard a couple of inches. That way you take the weight off the ground and don't dig as much.

13. powerjoke

powerjoke PlowSite.com Addict

Snofarmer i agree with you and Mick 100%= there is no way that is hard on the pump ar more bouncy if someone wants to argue i would love to hear it

We take care of 8mi 2lane gravel with the 5500 w/8611 and he'll put the skis on but that is the only job we put em on for, oh by the was the blade still gets scared pretty bad

14. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

I won't plow gravel

15. plowman777

plowman777 Senior Member

you can do gravel with a fine touch, need to constantly adjust the height
    of the plow while driving and leave 1-2 inches of snow. Also minimize the angling to reduce digging in.

I can testify to using pvc pipe..IT WORKED FANTASTIC!
    of course it got shredded in a few runs. so metal is the way to go.
    takes some work cutting around the plow feet holders etc. not the type of thing you want to do at the last minute!

;)

16. DeereFarmer

Hopefully I'll get to this project sometime this week, but we'll see.

17. snowpushn420

snowpushn420 Junior Member

I use my 60" Sweepster powerbroom, I hit all my Mowing accounts in the spring.. Makes for some nice additional income..

18. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

http://www.echo-usa.com/product.asp?Model=99944200620&Category=PROATTACH here is what you need, unfortunately you need to buy the power head first. i used one a couple of years ago to remove alot of gravel from a lawn, i was amazed at how fast it would remove the gravel. it takes almost all the hard work out of putting the gravel back onto the drive. stihl makes something very similar for their trimmers.

For my moms 150ft drive i do not plow it for the first few storms. usually i drive over it a dozen times to pack it down hard and let it freeze. then i do not need to worry about my 1000 lb boat anchor of a plow digging in, given a chance my plow would probably dig to china.

19. canoebuildah

canoebuildah Senior Member

I rent a Stihl powerbroom from the local True Value for $45 a day. One long, hard day and I can get three houses done. This spring I will rent it for $30 for a half day twice to spread it out. I did use a four stroke version of the powerbroom last time and it was much easier to use than the 2 stroke.

20. DeereFarmer

I've looked at getting a powerbroom. We have one at work and it's great. The price is a little high, but I might just rent one this year because this is the only job I would have for it. I know my local rental company has a big 4' walk behind one.