Snow Plowing Forum banner

PLowing? 4 Low or 4 High

25K views 37 replies 19 participants last post by  jb1390 
#1 ·
Just starting out, wondering if you guys plow in 4x4 Low or 4x4 High? I'm not talking about big parking lots just normal size driveways. xysport

#30 ·
2COR517;788881 said:
My experience is that 4LO gives you LESS traction. It is much easier to spin the tires in LO. Spinning tires usually leads to stuck.

I do use 4LO in places. If it's steep and the snow is deep and/or heavy.
I say little disagree with this

4L help me push snow MORE without floor on gas to roll fast but they are easy on transmission by not work hard to spin in 4H Those was 01 F250 but not sure how it difference from chevy or dodge.

If it 1/2 ton truck I would use 4L

#31 ·
B&B;794256 said:
See Scotty? The more axles you have the more gear multiplication you gain. :sleeping:
Do dual wheels give more multiplication too? And what about an air sprung tag axle? A tag would be cool on the 97 I think.

#33 ·
B&B;794268 said:
Only when the paint fumes get too thick. :D
Fumes? What fumes?

#34 ·
towpro570;794252 said:
2wd eng turns trans trans turns t case tcase drives rear end 4wd eng turns trans trans turns t case t case now running front rear and rear end thus changing gear ratio :drinkup: ussmileyflag
Eh??????????:dizzy:

#35 ·
im betcha i dont even use 4hi 90% of the time. I do mostly resi drives and i just drop plow as soon as I hit the driveway. Then i back up and drop plow and go forward again only using 3/4 of my plow at an angle, back up do it again.... etc......I figure as long as my wheels are driving over a cleared path, no need for it...I have also used 4hi a few times for making my intial pass when I let the snow accumulate almost 15 inches one time...after that it was 2hi using only 50% of my blade width

if i start to spin a bit, i reach down and move the transfer lever into 4 hi for a tad.... I don't think my current truck has ever been in 4lo.. no wait i lie.... it was once when i wanted to see it climb a hill with nuthing touching the throttle...... it was eerie to have that thing just crawl up with me only steering.....

#38 ·
Like has been said, 4low sucks for backing up, because it is so slow. I use it on one parking lot I plow with a very steep hill, and sometimes one of my driveways as well. Keeps the tranny temps down, and it seems like a bad idea to me to hold the engine at 2500 rpms (barely moving) while pushing uphill with 4000 lbs of sand salt plus the weight of truck and plow and spreader, running 230 F in the tranny :yow!:. But then again, as long as there isn't a foot of snow down it's not needed. It is better for the transmission, but it costs you time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.