Snow Plowing Forum banner

PLowing? 4 Low or 4 High

25K views 37 replies 19 participants last post by  jb1390 
#1 ·
Just starting out, wondering if you guys plow in 4x4 Low or 4x4 High? I'm not talking about big parking lots just normal size driveways. xysport

#6 ·
Medicjdl;788769 said:
I had a plow at the end of last season also and I don't ever remember even thinking about 4low. But some people on here say they use it. It must really beat up your truck. ussmileyflag
Why would 4LO beat up your truck?

#7 ·
Backing up or forward in 4-low puts approx 5k of torque at the driveshafts, multiply that by your gear ratio (mine being 4:10's) and that # is what you have at your axles/wheels. I am just worried about binding in transfer case. That's allot of torque. I just bought this truck and I'm trying to make it last that's all. Does that answer your question cretebaby?

#8 ·
Medicjdl;788771 said:
Backing up or forward in 4-low puts approx 5k of torque at the driveshafts, multiply that by your gear ratio (mine being 4:10's) and that # is what you have at your axles/wheels. I am just worried about binding in transfer case. That's allot of torque. I just bought this truck and I'm trying to make it last that's all. Does that answer your question cretebaby?
Not really :rolleyes: LOL

5k of what?

#9 ·
Medicjdl;788771 said:
Yep - backing up in 4wd-lo is for serious **** only... Usually, if I know I'm backing up, I'll slide it into 4wd-hi while coming to a stop moving forward. Taht being said - it's not bad for your truck unless your wheels cannot slip while turning.

#10 ·
It's allot of torque I guess. Like I said I just don't want to screw anything up. That's why I was asking. My truck has 70k (70,000) Miles on it. I changed out the front and rear Diff. fluid, Transmission fluid and did a motor flush. Just have to do a transfer case fluid exchange. But I keep missing the dealer's parts dept. I guess I need that special blue lubricant. (Yes I know I am a little extreme)

#11 ·
Medicjdl;788775 said:
It's allot of torque I guess. Like I said I just don't want to screw anything up. That's why I was asking. My truck has 70k (70,000) Miles on it. I changed out the front and rear Diff. fluid, Transmission fluid and did a motor flush. Just have to do a transfer case fluid exchange. But I keep missing the dealer's parts dept. I guess I need that special blue lubricant. (Yes I know I am a little extreme)
Plow in 4 HI for the most part.

But plowing in 4 LO has it's place.

For example I plow a small place that has alot of backdragging uphill and I usually have a full load of salt on also. It's alot easier on the tranny to use 4 LO.

Otherwise it is like GV said, I almost never use 2 HI unless I am trying to turn sharp while spreading salt.

#16 ·
Medicjdl;788727 said:
Just starting out, wondering if you guys plow in 4x4 Low or 4x4 High? I'm not talking about big parking lots just normal size driveways. xysport
The 6.0/4L80E trucks like yours aren't too bad in 4Lo as far as ground speed goes but for 99% of the situations low is completely unnecessary anyway. It will however reduce heat buildup in the trans which is good, but will also burn fuel faster than the Queen Mary at full steam.

Only real situation for low would be where you need to climb a steep hill (forward or reverse) while loaded heavy repeatedly as it will reduce the strain on the trans. Other than that HI is more than adequate for any other plowing situation.

BTW, any reason this is in the Boss plow forum?

#17 ·
jomofo;788728 said:
4WD Hi unless you need the extra power/traction. Backing up in 4WD-LO is the definition of 'suck'.
My experience is that 4LO gives you LESS traction. It is much easier to spin the tires in LO. Spinning tires usually leads to stuck.

I do use 4LO in places. If it's steep and the snow is deep and/or heavy.

#19 ·
More fuel than the Queen Mary..tymusic..good stuff BB. I don't know why it's in here. I have a boss plow and a question about using it I guess. But thanks for all the good advise guys! LET IT SNOW!!!!! ussmileyflag

#20 ·
2COR517;788881 said:
My experience is that 4LO gives you LESS traction. It is much easier to spin the tires in LO. Spinning tires usually leads to stuck.

I do use 4LO in places. If it's steep and the snow is deep and/or heavy.
I find that to be true if I leave it in low gear, but I find my starts are smoother if I need that torque in 4wd-lo, than if I try to start in hi and the tranny kicks down hard. In low, I can just ease on the gas and it'll start off nice in 2nd.

#25 ·
towpro570;793748 said:
i have 4 4x4's we realy only use 4wd when its deep or icy 3 of the 4 4x4 are stick so when in 4wd that changes the gear ratio greatly but we also have 2 2wd with 8.6 and the push good
Excuse my ignorance, how does 4wd change the gear ratio?

#26 ·
cretebaby;794151 said:
Excuse my ignorance, how does 4wd change the gear ratio?
I was going to ask that too..............

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.