1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

plowing 3 walmarts questions

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by phillykiser, Nov 5, 2010.

1. phillykiser

phillykiser Junior Member

I have an oppurtunity to bid on 3 walmarts this year and want to make sure that I am not getting in over my head. I have a 3/4 ton and 1/2 ton truck to do this and a couple other people with 3/4 ton trucks to help if I need it. My question is should I just rent equipment and leave at the store or buy another truck and hire someone Walmarts are finicky and I do not want to tick them off by leaving equipment. This was dumped on me at the last minute and now I have to come up with a quick bid on 3 walmarts Does $ 35,0000 a piece seem fair to you guys as far as bidding a job like this. I know I am going to be hiring people to help solve the snow plowing problems this year and I would like to make sure they are payed well for what they are doing. In the past what have you guys given out as far as labor help when it comes to plowing commercial lots like these? Any additional information would be greatly appreciated I have never dealt with walmart just heard horror stories.

2. Advantage

Advantage Senior Member

Not a good sign when "plowing 3 walmarts" is posted in the New to Industry section

3. badabing1512

badabing1512 Senior Member

You pick them up and youll be the next one to add to the horror stories

4. fireboy6413

fireboy6413 Senior Member

It sounds like you are in now way shape or form equipped to take on accounts like this, I maybe wrong, I would steer away. Best of luck

5. phillykiser

I have the people and equipment to pull it off. I just need to know If it would be better to rent a backhoe with a plow or just hire all of my buddies to go in with the 3/4 tons and do it. I have seen in the past at these walmarts backhoes with plows and they were left there for the entire season. In your opinion is it a good idea or not and as far as price am I in the ball park or way off?

6. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale 2000 Club Member

Could Orville Redenbacher please report to Customer Service.:popcorn:

7. dfd9

dfd9 PlowSite.com Addict

Seriously?

I mean, really?

8. FordFisherman

FordFisherman PlowSite.com Addict
    from 06611

GV, is that you?

9. FordFisherman

from 06611

Can we assume your submitting your pricing to a certain national management co?

10. CGM Inc.

CGM Inc. PlowSite Veteran
    from Ontario

exactly my thoughts.
    the walmarts I see have tractors and backhoes at least!

11. Plowtoy

Plowtoy Senior Member

your gonna need a loader and a push box at least. :popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

Last edited: Nov 5, 2010
  12. Division

Division Member

I AGREE, IN NO WAY are 1/2 ton and 3/4 tons going to clear a walmart lot. what about salting? When i sub'd a walmart and drove for someone else i had a freightliner with 8 tons of salt, there was 3 of us and a pick up. Dont fool yourself you"ll be in over your head and drowning. find a sub at least with something close to a 5+ cap dump, or get a skidsteer w push box

13. phillykiser

it is for a management company and I would be renting out alot of equipment to pull something like this off. May not be worth my time since I do not actually have that type of equipment. Start small and then go big when I get there may be the way to do this. I may just pass on this one.

14. ford6.9

ford6.9 Senior Member

Those stores are 24/7. Price is very low, and you would need a loader on each store plus a truck with salter at very min. Maned the whole time, Now also keep in mind payment will be out 90-120 days after the first month serviced, and you have to front the salt costs for the season pretty much out of pocket as well as labor and fuel. Can you do that? 60,000 min in the bank, I'm being honest with you and trying to set you up for success, not keep you from getting work. Honestly think about this, only you can answer, only you have to live with the consequences.......No one else here will care if you take them or not.....no one else will care if you cant pay your men, or your mortgage because you've sank every dollar into an account waiting for payment.

15. phillykiser

thank you I needed to hear that. Reality needed to set in I was not even sure about their terms and if the terms are like that it would really be alot more than I could do. The only thing is it is another management service that has this bid and is taking care of the walmarts. He is looking for subcontractors to plow for him. I am not in contract with walmart but a management service. Would this change the terms possibly? I guess I need more information before I ever say yes to something like this.

16. toby4492

toby4492 2000 Club Member

ROFLMAO

Thanks for the chuckle Johnny :drinkup:

17. FordFisherman

from 06611

Not going to mention names cause the post will disappear but do a search on the mgmt co. on this forum and you'll be enlightened.

18. Plowtoy

Plowtoy Senior Member

Be sure to read ALL contracts before you sign them and if you dont understand them have a lawyer look at them, I hear theres a lot of JUNK in the walmart/management company contracts

19. Matson Snow

Matson Snow PlowSite.com Addict

Is It USM????...That would be United States Management........:drinkup:

20. buckeyepw

buckeyepw Junior Member

Walmarts

I do power washing and was contacted by a management company taking bids for as many Walmarts as I could get to. They wanted square footage from me and I almost went through with helping them out. I saw all the contract requirements and ran the other way. Way to much bs for small profit.