1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

plowing 3 acre lot

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Fisher II, Jun 10, 2016.

1. Fisher II

Fisher II Senior Member

We have been plowing a 3 acre lot for 6 yrs now on a seasonal price of $17k.1- 2 trucks have handled this no problem. I have been approached by facility manager that they need every space in the lot now after it snows. Im thinking we need a tractor with pusher/snowblower on back to do this effectively. Loaders wont work due to limited places to put snow. Seems to get a tractor around 70 hp with pusher and blower is about $60k+. I want them to sign 3 yr agreement to cover cost of machine which will increase annual amount to about $25k for 3 yrs = $75k. Any thoughts? I really dont have other work to throw at this at the momment, but figure it will come!
  2. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

I don't think a 70 hp tractor is going to be enough to run a blower effectively or plow 3 acres as good as you think it will... I'd recommend a 110hp tractor at the minimum
  3. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

^^^^^What he said^^^^^
  4. Fisher II

Fisher II Senior Member

I see the cost of contract going up...lol!
  5. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

I won't pretend to know much about tractors/blowers, so....

Can't you just pile as you normally would and spin around and blow it?

The smallest blower we have is a airport one and we stock pile and at end of the event, we chuck it across the fields and ponds.
  6. Fisher II

Fisher II Senior Member

That would be the plan.... Figure use pusher during storm, then use blower to clean up.
  7. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

Idk much about tractors either but good luck getting your client to agree to an increase of 32k over three years. My guess is they would start looking for someone else
  8. Fisher II

Fisher II Senior Member

Lot was priced for 2 trucks(their specs)....no loader/blower didn't matter how many spaces were taken up by snow piles. Now all spaces are needed which changes the bid due to specialized equipment. Really no different then calling in loader to stack piles at $100 per hr above plowing cost. The cost of machine has to be covered over x amount of years.
  9. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Why buy when you could lease?

Fixed cost on machine, just add labor hours and fuel.

Large frame skid to plow and blower?

Skid and pusher would replace the two trucks, 3 acres isn't very big for dedicated machine but if it(seasonal) covers it with profit....who cares
  10. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

As stated, the specs changed. Maybe once they see the price increase, they won't require every space to be open.

A 70HP tractor is going to have what........maybe 50 PTO HP? And then all the snow is compacted, air has been removed, so yeah, definitely what Chad said.

1oldguy has a good idea as well. A SS with a hi-flo blower could plow and blow. Opens your trucks up for other accounts.
  11. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

I agree. Post the lot maybe we can help
  12. ponyboy

ponyboy Senior Member

Why wouldn't it go up if their level of service increases
    I'm not sure about price as he is in different region but we do a complex that wasn't totally rented and they allowed us a area to like snow
    Then next year it was fully rented and we had not lose any spots and it forced us to haul snow to a different part of their property and they paid us for our time
    We already Owened the equipment but still better service higher price
    Don't be worried sell your service
  13. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Funny I'm not seeing a problem with a 70 hp tractor doing a 3 acre lot if that's all it has to do. There's no need to pile the snow extremely high so just plow a bit then blow. I'd even think a 4000 series Deere could do that job with ease and have time for more work. Maybe I'm missing something.
  14. GMC Driver

GMC Driver Senior Member

That kind of goes without saying...

Although I will agree with you. We have two 75HP tractors, with 10-14 HLAs, and they get the job done. One runs an inverted blower on it as well, seems to work fine. A little more power might be nice, but at $1000/HP, an 70-80 HP should work fine.

Although it was said by ssomeone mulch older and wiser than myself that it may have difficulty with piled snow. This would be true - blowing snow that has been piled up for a while does not work as easily unless you have a bit more power and plenty of spare shear bolts.
  15. Triple L

from Canada

Maybe we should ask how long are the pushes on the 3 acre site... a 70HP tractor doesn't seem to handle the long pushes very well, even with a 7-13 blade... this is coming from experience... something a pickup wouldn't think twice about, a 70HP tractor is literally dead in its tracks... no from lack of HP, but traction
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2016
  16. Buswell Forest

Buswell Forest PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

17. Triple L

from Canada

40HP Kohler will dummy a 70HP tractor right? LOL
  18. Fisher II

Fisher II Senior Member

Long runs....machine weight will be key for sure! Was talking to FM and proposed we keep seasonal figure same, and charge hourly after storm to clear every space. Being a church a lot of people see this seasonal figure and freak out. Keeping the figure the same,and charging over and above is probably best move.

SHAWZER PlowSite.com Addict

What is your average snowfall in a year ?
  20. Fisher II

Fisher II Senior Member

50 inches although we got 110 2 yrs ago lol