1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

plowing 101, accelerated course

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by chilly, Oct 18, 2003.

1. chilly

chilly Junior Member

I have performed many searches the last 3 mos, but am still in need of specific info. Within the next two weeks I will purchase a SUV. I've searched to determine which is best for plowing. I have a few rental props and would like to plow instead of snowblow. I love the Wrangler but I require more space for sand,salt, shovels, and two children. I also will use the SUV daily. I need advice I don't want to ruin it.

From what I've gathered here, I'm going to buy an auto '97 or better Chevy Blazer s10, Jeep Cherokee Sport, or Chevy Tahoe k1500.

1. Based on these choices which would be best?
    2. These are all 4x4 6 or 8 cyl, should I look for any other features?
    3. Are they considered unibody or frame (read that somewhere)?
    4. Do I need to add anything to the frontend beside the plow?
    5. I want a small lightweight plow that wont weigh down front end, easy to operate and remove, any suggs?
    6. Will the back of veh require weight or anything else?
    7. What should I do to avoid ruining transmission, engine, frame?
    8. Any other important info or links would be appreciated.

I appreciate any help I can get. I have been unable to find reliable residential plowers. So I'm gonna take a stab at it. I'm a quick learner and determined.

:help: damsel in distress

2. griffithtlc

griffithtlc Senior Member

Here is my .02:
    First of all, welcome to plowsite, but beware-it is very addicting. Now for the Q's.
    1. I would take the Cherokee Sport (Not for sure, but don't they have a solid front axle?
    2. find one with the 4.0L. I am no jeep expert on options, but try to find one with anything like factory tow package, things along those lines.
    4. Timbrens will help not only carry the load, but keep you from bouncing when going down the road.
    5. You could get a sno-way, they are very light and have a good rep on here. Also, somebody put a small blizzard on their wrangler not too long ago. The Blizzard mouning system is very nice and easy.
    6. You will probably have to put some ballast in the back, depending on the weight of the plow.
    7. If the truck doesn't have one, get an auxilary cooler, and also take the truck in and have the entire tranny flushed and adjust the bands.
    8. Snowplowjay runs a cherokee, I think he would be the guy to talk to about this. Good Luck, hope I helped some:salute:

3. Chief Plow

Chief Plow Senior Member

My 2 cents....

1500 tahoe. Depending on size and how many lotts you are doing, I would get a light weight plow, like a snowway. Definately make sure you get a tranny cooler, And becarefull, it is tough to plow with an suv for an experienced guy, let alone a newbie... P.S. Are these rental props yours are are you taking care of them for someone? Consider Insurance to CYA.....Good luck

Rick

4. Adams plowing

Adams plowing Senior Member

Hi, if i were you i would probal look for an v8. i would add timbrens to the front to help carry the added weight, prob would get a snowway plow because they tend to be lighter and are good plows. altough you will have to see what is avaible in your area and also i would get a plow that i can get good service on this way if and when it breaks you can get spair parts and or warenty work done witthout a large hassle. i would add balast weight to the back to help out. If you have an overdrive off button i would disengage it when plowing. i would probaly go with the tahoe 1500. and dont forget to get your little Orange strob/rotateing beacon for the top of the truck to keep ya legal when plowing.

5. chilly

chilly Junior Member

Thanks for the advice, guys. Now I can make informed purchases.

I'm gonna pm snowplowjay to get his input, he's located in the same area so he knows what i'll be up against.

Rick:
    There a 3 props which I own. The longest dwy is about 150 feet, is starts out about 12-15' wide then opens up to accomodate 4 car garage.

Is there anyone else out there that actually runs one of these SUV's that can offer input?

6. NoStockBikes!!

NoStockBikes!! Senior Member

7. chilly

chilly Junior Member

Just visited the link, great tips for a 1st timer, thanks N.S.B.

8. snowplowjay

snowplowjay Banned

Hey Chilly sorry I havent replied sooner. I was posting pics from the BBQ.

Ok heres the details. My Jeep is a 1996 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4.0L inline 6 automatic. I run a 6.5' Western Uni Mount on my truck. It is a great little durable plow. The problem is that Western has stopped making these according to the dealer I spoke to yesterday because they are pushing their new line of PERSONAL USE Suburbanite snow plows. My advice to you would be to talk to your local dealer and find out if theres any chance he can find you a 6.5' Western like mine which is the 61300 series plow. If he cant start searching for a used one since there have been quite a few around lately. As far as mods to the truck id recommend some type of support for the front end, such as Timbrens. I currently have no modifications to the front end and it does sag a little bit.

Jay

9. chilly

chilly Junior Member

Thanks, Jay.

What about a Meyers plow? I read that there's one avail for Jeep.

10. snowplowjay

snowplowjay Banned

Yes Meyer does make a plow for your application. I have never used that particular model of Meyer plows but I know that there are a few guys around here running Meyers on their Cherokees. BTW where in CT are you.

Jay

11. Big Nate's Plowing

Big Nate's Plowing PlowSite.com Addict

if it was my hard earned money it would be a Cherokee w/a 7½' snoway 25 Series, leave the front end alone and just plow snow
    the 4.0/4.2 inline 6's are torquey little motors and they last forever. what I will suggest is the largest transmission cooler that you can find, or 2 smaller ones. Stacked plate is more efficent, I ran 3 of these on the bronco and it kept trans temps way below 180

~Nate~

transchart.gif

12. chilly

chilly Junior Member

Big Nate, why do u suggest 7.5' plow for a cherokee? That almost 200 addt'l lbs. Maybe 7.5 for Tahoe? Nothing on the front end scares me. I need this veh daily.

Jay, I'm in Rocky Hill.

13. Big Nate's Plowing

Big Nate's Plowing PlowSite.com Addict

I mean a cherokee w/a 6½ is really on the small side. Snoways are real light weight plows. Alan here on PS runs 8 footers on s-10's

I am not a fan of timbrens, you will have better luck with air lift 1000 air bags

14. Strongmd

Strongmd Member

This has worked well for me, and meets your criteria. v8 Tundra w/7' poly meyer.

toytundra.jpg

15. c.t. lawn care

c.t. lawn care Senior Member

This is my sonoma with a 7 1/2 foot 25 series sno-way plow... just crank up the torsion bars and away you go...

16. c.t. lawn care

opps here we go

plow20002.jpg

17. c.t. lawn care

18. Chief Plow

Chief Plow Senior Member

Chilly,

I would still go for the tahoe, because of the power of the 8. Just make sure you got a good tranny cooler. Also, I used a 90 full size jimmy for a couple of seasons, and it was the best plow truck I ever had, you just have to have EYES IN THE BACK OF YOUR HEAD..... If you are only doing your props, take your time and you should be fine

Rick

19. penberth

penberth Member

I have a 2000 Jeep Cherokee and can pipe in on a few things.
    The Cherokee does have a solid front axle. I can speak for 1997 and newer Cherokees. All Cherokees since 1997 have the 4.0L inline six except the SE models which had the 4 cylinder. Again, I believe all except the SEs had the AW4 auto tranny.

If you get a Cherokee that had the towing package, it will have the tranny cooler, and I think full size spare. If you get the Up Country suspension package, you will get a TracLoc differential, full size spare, front and rear tow hooks, heavy duty front and rear shocks, and they removed the rear sway bars. I may be missing some things, I will dig out my build sheet toworrow.

Sports, Classics, and Limiteds all have factory door locks, and power windows, and I think tilt wheel.

Not sure what else you want to know.

Who makes plows for the Cherokee? Meyers, Western, Snoway, Blizzard. These are the major manufacturers that I know of. Meyers and Western are both 6.5'. Meyer makes a poly and steel. Western is steel only. Snoway and Blizzard are both 6'8" in size. Snoway is made of Lexan and has a down pressure which is great for backdragging. The last I checked with them, their 6'8" plow was only available in a model that was 18" tall, which is fairly low. I have never plowed with this plow, but heard some pros talking on here that its can be a problem. Here is a picture:
    [​IMG]

Anyways. the Blizzard model is new this year from what I have heard and looks to be a nice unit. Do a search on Blizzard 680s. There has been a lot of talk about that lately.

I, myself, just bought a used Meyer poly this year, only because of the price. $800, and the thing was in really nice shape. I can't speak too much about it yet since I haven't plowed with it. I can say that I am not a fan of the hookup system. Its a two stage system, which means the plow disconnects from the pump / head gear. There are two quick disconnects for the hydraulics, then you pull two pins to disconnect the A-frame / blade. Then you pull two more pins to remove the head gear. But before you do that, you need to disconnect two wires for the lights, two power leads (+,-), and then three smaller wires which control the pump. Sheesh......

I know that the Western Uni-mount 6.5' is a one piece system. I think you pull the pins and it pulls the pump / blade all off. Not too sure on how many wires though.

I am not too sure how other plows are, but Boss looks like it has one big block with covers all of the wires. I like this idea. Disconnect one big block that is all the wiring.

I am fairly new to plowing, but have done a ton of research on plows and hooking them up to Jeeps. Like SnowplowJay said, if Western stopped making the 6.5' Uni-mount, look in the paper, there are always people selling them as they trade up to full-size trucks, or trade down to snowblowers. Check e-bay always a bunch on there too. They usually sell quick though as the 6.5' fit a ton of small to mid size vehicles that homeowners usually have.

Oh, and about weight. The Meyer plows sit about 420, I think the Western is about the same. Jerre and Rob both said the Blizzard is about 350, and the Snoway 6'8" is about 420 or so.

Some one was talking about putting a 7.5' plow on the Cherokee. The last I checked, I didn't think anyone made a 7.5' plow for the Cherokee.

Ok, I rambled enough for now. If you have any other questions, please ask.

20. snowplowjay

snowplowjay Banned

Heres two shots of what the Blizzard 680 looks like. I saw it for the first time this weekend at the BBQ and was very impressed.

pa170008.jpg